Forum home Plants

Ash Die Back recovery?

alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
Has anyone seen any signs of recovery in Ash affected by die back?
I have been waiting for someone to chop down a couple and yet through the summer they seemed have leafed very well.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    Some trees have apparently shown some resistance, I read an article a while back asking people not to cut them down if they were not a danger where they were, as resistance could be possible.
    There is a group of inherited ash trees in my garden, planted far too close together, so some have thrived more than others.
    The central tree is by far the largest and so far is the absolute picture of good health.
    Some of the outer trees have been showing signs of dieback for 2or3 years, but they are still managing a reasonable amount of leaf cover and might well have had more in a less exceptional year.
     Another tree died about 4 years back, lost most of its branches and is pockmarked with woodpecker holes. No danger though and we hadn't rushed to remove it. Last year it suddenly produced some green shoots from the trunk and this year there are more and they have grown taller. Oddly, the same thing has happened to a very old sycamore, also part of a group, on our boundary, which we were keeping, under observation, for its wildlife value.
    I don't know if it is weather related, or whether the ash did actually have dieback, but it shows how resilient trees can be.
    Scientists now believe that trees can 'talk' to each other, through their root systems, via the exchange of chemicals and hormones in the soil. Perhaps they can learn from or support each other too. It's cutting edge science, so anybody's guess.
    One even went so far as to say they might be able to detect humans. Nice for tree huggers to think that the tree might know it is being hugged :)

• alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    What a fantastic answer.  Thank you for taking so much trouble. 
    I was  bit concerned posting the question in case having not cut it down sooner was a terrible thing but I would like to give them a chance now that they are looking pretty well and not harming anyone. 
    Best wishes. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,869
    I contacted the Woodland Trust last year as many of our have dieback and they said that around 30% are showing signs of recovery and only to remove any which pose a danger . 
    Devon.
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    I really hope that resistance is developing. I regularly drive across Salisbury Plain, and the MOD have recently removed all the mature ash on the road sides. I understand why they have done it, but it is sad to look on.