Forum home Plants

Grass-like Plant/Bulb Identification

Can anyone tell me what this is? Mainly in large clumps but spreading out, individual stems grow from a single white bulb…

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    They look a little like Gladioli which tend to only survive the winter in sheltered areas.  If you can't remember them flowering in mid-late summer or autumn last year, the clump could be overcrowded and would benefit from being divided in autumn.  That would help them to flower, even if they are something else.  I would give them a chance to flower and if nothing by late autumn, then lift and divide the clump, re-planting the bulbs from the edges and discarding those from the centre.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,677
    I would say, the habit looks like Daylilies. Non flowering can be a mixture of over-crowded clump, or planted in an area with not enough sun.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,925
    Agree with @Borderline - whilst the first pic could resemble a Gladiolus, the habit of those in pic 2 look more like Daylillies.
    It depends where you are located but here in the SW UK, the Glads are either flowering or about to whilst the Daylillies are only just starting to produce their flower heads.
    Whichever you think the clump is, I would suggest at least investigating and dividing if necessary.

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 582
    Could it be Crocosmia?
    East Anglia
  • We’re in NW Greater London, it’s a south-facing garden so very sunny, clay soil if that makes any difference. This is our first summer here so don’t know any history, but I can’t see any flower heads developing yet… 

Based on the comments I’ll leave it a bit to see if any blooms develop, then divide in autumn hopefully when it’s clearer what they are! 

Thanks everyone x