Forum home Tools and techniques

Composting aquilegia and poppies

IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 579
I thought I did the right thing by composting the seed heads while they were still green. I thought they were not mature enough for viable seeds as they weren’t open, brown and would rot down quickly in the heap. I turned the heap yesterday and found a load of open seed heads. Did I make a rookie mistake? Same with poppy seeds. It’s going to be everywhere now especially in plant pots which I didn’t want.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,567
    They're easy enough to pull out if they seed though, as long as you recognise the seedlings  :)
    I compost deadheaded aquilegias when they're green, but I haven't had any germinate when I use the compost. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 579
    Somehow poppy seedlings have germinated in my veg patch where I did spread compost. Unfortunately they don’t seem so easily to pull out. It doesn’t smell like a veg or herb and looks like poppy leaves.
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 176
    Never put weeds or plants with seed heads on to the compost heap, as they never rot down in my experience, especially "chickweed", deadly!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,341
    I put seed heads of things I like in the compost, but then I  can recognise the seedlings and like the wild abandoned look.  I gave a couple of bags of  mature compost to my friend when she did her new garden, she got free forgetmenots, nicotianas and cosmos came up. It looked glorious.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 579
    I think I’ll just cut the seed heads I like into the borders. They aren’t great if they come up in my pot plants if I use homemade compost there. 
    I seem to get lots of ox eye daisy and forget me not  seedlings. Would love cosmos and nicotiana self seeding.