Forum home Wildlife gardening

Sharing our nature pond

I thought I would share one of my favourite things about my garden. Its my nature pond which my husband and daughter made last year.

This year has been so much fun watching the pond. We have had so many tadpoles, I was actually surprised at the amount, and we currently have a lot of froglets. 

The top pond was extended this spring, and the amount of frogs that live her is amazing. So many different types. 

I originally said that I did not want a pond (after husband asking for a long time) and I can't believe how wrong I was. Some of our goldfish are huge now too.

Let me know if you are interested in seeing more pictures I.e. differentangles, the plants, or pictures of it getting built.

• DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 169
    It is very pretty. Beware though that herons might eat your fish. I had my pond uncovered for 5 years and all was fine then one day the heron got all my fish. I have a net on it now which sadly stops the wildlife.
  • Ditsy said:
    It is very pretty. Beware though that herons might eat your fish. I had my pond uncovered for 5 years and all was fine then one day the heron got all my fish. I have a net on it now which sadly stops the wildlife.
    Thanks Ditsy

That's really sad that they were taken after 5 years. Very unexpected:( 

I have just been reading up on Herons to see if there is any other deterents apart from netting. There are a few suggestions, but they might not work. I didn't realise that the Herons will feed the fish to make them come over 😬
  • DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 169
    Yes I was devastated. My pond is very near to my house so I always thought the heron wouldn't come that close.Wrong!

I didn't know the herons feed the fish either, very clever.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,187
    There are interlocking mesh rings you can get for putting at the edges. Herons will only wade in so far - they won't go into deeper water.
    That's the problem if you have fish in a pond- herons will always hang around. It's easy pickings for them. The local herons here appeared within a couple of days of my newest pond being filled, but haven't reappeared as there's nothing in there for them.
    Fish will also eat most of the other wildlife you have present in a pond - tadpoles, spawn, nymphs etc, unless the pond is vast enough to support everything. 

You can net a pond and still leave the edges clear, or at least part of an edge, to allow other wildlife and birds to access it.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....