Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS 🏖 ☔️ 🏖 ☔️ 🏖 July ‘21

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,360
    Hello all,

Sorry, been AWOL for a while. I have managed to read bits from time to time, so hugs to those who need them. 

CdeG is extremely busy, but and I daren't say it too loudly, seems to be under control. I have got some new staff that are proving their worth, I've been extremely lucky with two in particular. I've had to lose a chef though because he's refusing to be vaccinated. 
    There was a confrontation with another key member of staff.....she untied the apron strings, quite literally as a gesture of defiance, throwing in the towel as it were unless I let her have her way - I didn't and she tied them back up again. 

Steep learning curve for me this year, I've had to become strict, direct, demanding, I have the responsibility now of safeguarding jobs for more than a dozen staff and can't allow anyone to get away with not supporting the team. Everyone has to be contributing for the greater good. I've let two people go who couldn't or wouldn't play their part. Very difficult to be the one making those decisions but I have to protect the core. 

I'm very grateful that my vision for CdeG has become so successful, very aware of how far we've come and appreciative of it and extremely proud of our success.  However, it's a huge commitment and massive responsibility, and it comes at a price. I'm totally absorbed in it, totally bound to it. My garden has suffered, despite the gardener, moments to unwind and relax are few and far between. Hopefully it'll settle down after summer and I will find a balance. For now though, I'm definitely going thru the Frankenstein monster moment. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 10,277
    Good morning Forkers.  I hope you all had a good sleep. Thinking of you Hosta. 😁
    S. E. NSW
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,973
    Good morning all 😊 ☕️ and hello @Pat E 👋 
    I woke early and have been downstairs quietly catching up on the ‘lympics. It’s a lovely morning … the doors to the garden are open and the goldfinches are twittering away happily. 
    Good to see you @D0rdogne_Damsel … I’d guessed you must be busy … glad you’ve found some good staff and given some others a wake-up call. That chef must be bonkers 🤯 the thing with a business is that you can never stand still … if you do you go backwards and waste all the time and energy already spent 😒 so enjoy it as you go along 🥂 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,133
    Good morning all. 
    A bit of rain overnight, but not much. Useful and appreciated. 
    Devon.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 10,277
    Morning Dove and Hosta. No rain here still. 😡
    The only plus is that I can get washing out and in again without having it hanging around inside the house. 

S. E. NSW
    Early morning googling has found the best price for a "Direct Cremation " is £950. A lot of money for what's involved IMHO. 
    Devon.
    It’s a helluva lot less than the traditional sort of event @Hostafan1 (good morning 😊) … it’s what some folk I know have gone for and is my preference. I think that some of the cost is because of important legal aspects … wouldn’t want to do without them 😨
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It’s a helluva lot less than the traditional sort of event @Hostafan1 (good morning 😊) … it’s what some folk I know have gone for and is my preference. I think that some of the cost is because of important legal aspects … wouldn’t want to do without them 😨
    I suggested a couple of hundred quids of logs down by the lake and do it myself then rake the ash into the lake. 
    No1 daughter was horrified and begged me not to. 
    Devon.
    It can be done apparently … but there’s a lot of paperwork … 

It can be done apparently … but there’s a lot of paperwork … 
    Surprisingly little paperwork, A death certificate and consent from local council
    Devon.