Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS 🏖 ☔️ 🏖 ☔️ 🏖 July ‘21

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,287
    Have been looking for the past month @Dovefromabove   Maybe they will be at throwaway prices at the market!! (if I find anything)  Anyway, the French team are so full of themselves.
    My OH is Italian and my brother is married to a Swissess and they can't believe they're in the quarter finals!!  We have plenty to support still!

@Lizzie27  Hope the carpet fitters get the job done in the day.  
    @Allotment Boy  Nice for some to be at Wimbledon sipping champagne and eating strawberries.

We had a nice floating piano with opera singer on the river near us.  Chairs were set up on the bridge and along either side of the banks.  Very nice.  Very hot!  The two "summer" months are here and there are festivities galore.  Masks are not mandatory now outside but like your pubs (outside) people are not spaced and with a couple of drinks, things lighten up.   We went past our local Wine Co-Operative on Wednesday evening.  Loads of people gathered around barrels (outside) drinking.  I hope we won't be in lockdown again this Autumn, but it does seem inevitable.  Expecting mainly French tourists this year but the camping grounds and naturist clubs here are already in full swing!!

Oh a lighter note - hot here - 29°C and mercury climbing! 
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 694
    Morning all.  Yes, the concert was lovely yesterday and I am looking forward to more. But while our small town has so much to offer, it also contains people with a very small town mentality and I have been subject, first in a Zoom meeting last night and again by email this morning to a royal ticking off over the fact that I allowed someone to plant an empty planter with herbs, rather than checking first with her whether she was going to plant it up herself again this year.  It was empty because she had been too busy to plant it and then on holiday - but she had bought the plants.  Sadly this person is in a position of power - she is a budget holder and I am working with her on another major project which will be part funded by her budget so I have to play nice while she feels she can go on and on at me about how much I have offended her!
    @Biglad - thanks for the sky pic - helps calm me!
    Could this be Mrs Mineshaft @didyw ?   Jerry....!!?

tui34 said:
    Could this be Mrs Mineshaft @didyw ?   Jerry....!!?
    Sorry - don't get the reference. But I like it.  She shall henceforth be known as Mrs. Mineshaft.  (She is also known, in other quarters, as Dolores Umbrage).
    "The Good Life"  Margot Leadbetter's theatrical director.  Jerry was her husband (long-suffering).  Who didn't love Margot?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,838
    edited 2 July
    tui34 said:
    "The Good Life"  Margot Leadbetter's theatrical director.  Jerry was her husband (long-suffering).  Who didn't love Margot?
    Thought it was Miss Mountshaft  .... innuendo/double entendre that seemed to pass by Tom and Barbara at the time or surely there would've been smirks?

https://www.quotes.net/mquote/900510
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,223
    edited 2 July
    New knee jab not working yet so had a wakeful, throbby night and then slept in.   The doc assures me that arthritis doesn't hurt unless you're using the joint in question.  Fat lot he knows!

Anyway, today's fun has been rounding up 2 chooks who insist on escaping from the potager despite OH's attempts to chook proof the fence.  Clever girls, but Luc has seen them going beyond his cowsheds and into his paddock behind and there be foxes. 

The other fun has been posting our old bed out of the upstairs landing window so we can install Possum's younger bed when it arrives next week.  It's a very old box spring base with a newer, but still old, mattress so rather than try and carry it downstairs - Vendée staircase with a 180° turn in the middle - we cut the base in two and used the mattress as a landing pad.  Rasta thought the mattress made a good sunbathing bed.  All now stashed - minus dog - in Sally to go to the dump. 

We are expecting showers over the next 3 days so I may just get on and paint the kitchen walls.  Had to have some plaster excavations to fix the leccy supply to wall lights on one wall and I can't get a colour match anymore so that's 2 and a bit walls that need doing.  Not a huge area but fiddly with cupboards now in place.

Hope all are well and those in upheaval or pain are coping.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Dovefromabove   Yes! Yes!  Miss Mountshaft dahhhhling!  Good on you!   Margot was a little in awe and a little afear'd of her!!  Loved that series.

@Obelixx   Had 3 cortisone injections in my knee (hairline crack) in September '19 before going to Nepal.  Yes, painful but mine worked.  I get a twinge now and again.  I was told it would only work a couple of years, but it's ok enough not for me to go back and have those injections again!  Ouch!

Making a dish of mussels with tomato basil garlic vinaigrette dressing, for the match tonight.  Oysters and brown bread, the white is chilling in the fridge.  The cheese is maturing on the board (under cover of course.)  Lightly toasted Bruschetta (Pavé) to sop up the juice.  Another long evening!

@Obelixx - I am in awe of all you manage to do, let alone with a hurty knee. Can just picture the mattress and the bed going through the window!

Been slaving over a hot laptop all day so a stroll around the estate is now in order... I'll go slowly as it won't take long!
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,448
    Hi folks,  Have just spend an annoying half hour trying to post a discussion.  The advert that was showing at the time stopped me selecting 'fruit and veg'.  Sorted now.
    I've been in the garden all day Hubby mowed the lawns and I edged.  Had so much deadheading to do anyone would think I had been away for weeks instead of days.  Emptied my first bag of potatoes and was decidedly unimpressed.  A few small ones that we will be having for dinner and a few that were like burst balloons have no idea what I did wrong.  Hope the other three bags are better.  On a brighter note the beans are loaded with flowers, the peas are filling out nicely, lots of radish and beetroot and the broad beans are almost ready to pick.
    @Allotment Boy I'm so jealous I can hardly speak 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands