Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS 🏖 ☔️ 🏖 ☔️ 🏖 July ‘21

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,448
    Hi folks,  We have come home early.  We were not due to return until Saturday but to be honest I've been struggling with my back after the long journey down and this morning decided I'd had enough.  We had a lovely time but it's nice to be home and I'll be sorting out some physio as soon as I can. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,223
    That's a shame @Yviestevie.  I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

I have been to see the nice (not) rheumatologist/knee man.   Bedside manner has not improved with age and he's as unceremonious as ever with his needles.   Naughty fluid removed and some of the good stuff injected in.  Wasn't watching so don't know how much but a smaller needle, thankfully.   Two more sessions to go and then I'm good for another 12 to 18 months.

I hope so.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,789
    Doesn't sound very nice at all @Obelixx, but good if it works. Have you now got to rest it for a couple of days? My shoulder's better after my jab a couple of weeks ago but is still a bit achy first thing in the morning. Better after a hot shower.

Shame about your curtailed holiday @Yviestevie, hope the physio works. Bad backs are the very devil.

OH had his hip X-rays this morning, very efficient and quick, back home in just under an hour.

Just been admiring my Princess of Wales clematis which is in full flower, rather appropriately, for what would have been her birthday. Not sure about the new statue, online photos probably don't do it justice though.

House has been cleared as much as we can do today, we're in absolute chaos. Been busy hoovering cobwebs and dead woodlice/spiders everywhere. I'm hoping for dry weather tomorrow so some of the furniture can stand outside. Not looking forward to it but it has to be done and better now, than when we're a lot older.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,775
    I hope you aren't too disappointed about your holiday @Yviestevie but at least it was lovely while it lasted.

I think you are very brave @Obelixx, it sounds horrible.

I realised that I needed a couple more plants so OH came to the GC with me. I also bought some birthday cards. The GC had beautiful cards, the French ones are expensive rubbish, but they are getting better. Then we stopped off at another nice pub, had a beer and sausage rolls and booked a table for lunch next week.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Not brave @Busy-Lizzie.  Just resigned.  I'm still too young (!) to be given a new knee and it would have to made to measure and not "off the shelf" as I have slightly rotated tibias.  12 to 18 month jabs are a lot less bovver as long as they work.

I find some reasonable cards in Leclerc these days but not cheap and the Xmas offering is poor wherever I look.

What new plants did you need?  I treated myself to some salvias yesterday to grow in te bed under the silk tree but then, when googling to check eventual size, I found they prefer full sun to dappled shade so I'm having to think again.   2 royal bumbles, one Love and Wishes, one with creamy yellow flowers and purple calyxes and a small, variegated foliage version with soft, ruby red flowers - all perfect for my red and purple them in that bed and now needing a new home.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,839
    Love & Wishes is a gorgeous salvia. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

All of these are @Dovefromabove and I'm happy to say that a cutting I took from a municipal Amistad at the PO last summer has taken and is flowering.  Maybe I could try my hardy fuchsias in the silk tree bed and get rid of some pots off the terrace while I consider where to plant the salvias.  Might need a new bed... 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,775
    I needed another lavender Hidcote, another short red and purple dahlia to go with the one I just bought and another Laurentia (ditto). I think the dahlias may be well grown bedding dahlias, they are just to fill a dull hole in the front.

I once had salvia Love and Wishes, gorgeous but it wasn't hardy.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    I'll be taking cuttings of all of them @Busy-Lizzie.   I've lost/misfiled all the labels for my dahlias which is a pain but not a disaster.   Only grow them to cut for the house anyway.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,252
    Evening all. Thank you for setting us up for July @Dovefromabove 🏖☔️

I have pulled my back today so you have company @Yviestevie. It twinged when I reached into the car foot well earlier then I bent down to cream Dad’s feet and ouch! I blame vacuuming car mats yesterday- a thankless chore. Trying to get comfy and watch tennis - just plonked down (through gritted teeth) to see Fed’s last few points. Really fancied another late evening of tennis but think all matches will be done before the 8:30 programme. 

Hope all are ok. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.