Forum home Plants

When to plant out a rose grown from cutting.

SuesynSuesyn Posts: 660
Help please.
I have successfully grown a Gertrude Jekyll from a cutting that I took last year. It is now in a pot 10cm square by 20cm deep. The roots are coming through the bottom and it has had 2 buds on it. The plant is now 30cm tall.
Should I pot it on into a bigger pot and how big does it need to be before it goes into the ground? I can find lots of videos on how to take cuttings but nothing on what to do next.
Any advice will be gratefully received 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,583
    If the roots are coming out of the bottom, it can be transplanted carefully into the final position, making sure to keep the rootball intact.  Prepare the hole at least twice the size of the pot, and remember to water regularly for the rest of this summer.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,013
    edited June 2021
    I agree and would advise removing any flower buds to let it concentrate energy on more roots and shoots for now.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    I might suggest moving it on to a big, deep pot for a year, before planting out.
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 660
    @fidgetbones @Obelixx, thank you both for your advice, now I need to decide where I can put it. 
    If you're not sure and your garden is crammed I would pot it on again so growth isn't checked and then plant it out in autumn or spring when you've done some clearing.  Then it will cope better with competition from neighbours in the border.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    I’m no cuttings expert, having only attempted it for the first time last year, but I did get this Munstead Wood cutting to take. I recently potted it on into a 6L pot and won’t be planting it out until autumn or even next spring. If I decide to leave it until spring, I might pot it on again. I think it, and probably yours, is a little small to go out. I have also removed any flower buds for the reasons Obelixx says:

Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 660
    @Nollie That's quite a bit bigger than mine so I will pot it on and wait a while. It may even have to be given away in the end as I don't have any room for it at the moment. I only did it for the challenge! 
  • I would like to try doing my first cutting. Does it have to be from a mature rose? I got this one last year from the garden centre, could I take one from this or is it too young? Thanks 
    Have a read of this guide - https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-take-rose-cuttings/ 

and this from the RHS on how to grow roses, including propagating them from cuttings -
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/roses/growing-guide 
  • @Obelixx ah brilliant, thank you