Forum home Garden design

Bridging gap between higher circular patio and lower lawn

We have a large semi-circular patio which is approx 6 to 8 inches higher than the adjoining lawn, the circular section leads on to the lawn section. We want to link the patio and lawn in a coherent way – so we (family with children) can move between the areas easily. At the moment it’s a big 12+ inches “moat type” gap, with left-over patio hardcore before the lawn begins, which we've started to remove.

Looking for some ideas (that ideally we can do ourselves), which need to be easy to maintain once complete. We have thought about sloping the lawn up to the patio, by adding a few tonnes of topsoil and turfing up to the circular edge. Or perhaps a pebble border but that will still require a significant step down and will need edging to the lawn, so could be done for part of it, with the central area something different. Has anyone done anything similar, or have some good suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,503
    Have you thought about concreting or paving between the lawn and patio edge. You could then use the hardcore as a base (well tamped down) and the step down would then be shallower. Low maintenance!
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    It's difficult to envisage without a photograph but could you create a step where you want to access the garden from the patio and then add a border around the remaining edge of the paving so that no one steps off inadvertently? This could be achieved with grasses such as Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' or small shrubs e.g. lavender, or a mixed border if it's a decent width. 

This link with thumbnail images you can click through helps illustrate the idea https://www.petesims.co.uk/split-level-indian-patio-design-whitchurch-berkshire/#wp-prettyPhoto[g2540]/15/
  • DaintreesDaintrees Posts: 3
    Thank for your ideas! I guess without bringing up the level, an area to step down to may be best. Couple of pictures attached, the circular section width is around 5 metres, only a small section pictured. The slabs are a beautiful sandstone, so we want the transistion to look as good as the patio itself.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,537
    Your builders have made a lovely job of the paving but totally neglected to finish the edges properly. The vertical face needs cleaning up, skimming and edging with stone to protect the end tiles from chipping and cracking. It’s like having steps with the treads tiled but not the risers. Damp will seep in through that very rough, exposed concrete edge and if you pile up pebbles or soil that won’t help. See here for some ideas: https://yourhome-yourgarden.co.uk/patios-slabs-and-paving.html I rather like the contrasting granite bevelled edging shown on the circular patio, but there are plenty of options. Sandstone also stains easily from seepage from plant pots - I know, I have it, especially bad if you give the plants an iron tonic and it runs over the saucer! So has it had several coats of a suitable penetrating stone sealer?
  • DaintreesDaintrees Posts: 3
    Nollie said:
    Your builders have made a lovely job of the paving but totally neglected to finish the edges properly. The vertical face needs cleaning up, skimming and edging with stone to protect the end tiles from chipping and cracking.

I think you are right! The vertical face was skimmed nicely, but it's breaking apart in some places, presumably because it wasn't edged and just left into the lawn area. We discounted setts because we didn't want to add a different element to the edge and we love the sandstone look, but obviously we'll need to do something. It needs to last decades!
    Fortunately we've had no stains from 5+ years of usage so far, and wash it with detergent twice a year. Thanks for the link, will have a good look through.