Forum home Fruit & veg

Caring for grape vines

Hi, as a house warming present I was given 2 outdoor grape vines but I have no idea how to care for them, I’ve planted them next to some trellis, is this correct? Also are they hardy enough to survive winter or do I need to cover them? 

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,986
    Hello @riki-leigh295   I hope I can help you with your table grape vines.
    You have planted them in a good spot.  They will be growing well by now with flowers (grapes).  Grape vines are susceptible to odium which is a sort of mildew.  This is when the leaves go yellowy with brown spots.  This is how I go about looking after my table grape vines.

The vines get pruned when the last of the leaves have fallen and the plant is dormant. From January to March.   Old wood is cut off and one branch of new wood gets left on the trunk and is cut 5 "eyes" from its source.  This is tied to the wire (in your case the trellis).

Around about March, the vine starts to bud and when the first leaves open, I dust it with sulphur powder. (early morning, no wind or rain)  It gets another dusting when the first flowers come out.  I train the branches to catch hold of the wire if they have missed.

I leave it to its own devices after that.  I trim the side branches that hang out too much but not the top around about July.  I don't spray them at all.  You can do a copper spray B. Bordelaise if you think they look sick.  I don't bother.

And that's it!  Your months will probably be  different from mine as I am slightly further south than you!!  They are hardy and don't need to be covered or pampered in the winter.  They need the cold to set the fruit in the summer.

If you, like me can contend with birds and wasps, then you will enjoy some grapes, maybe not this year, but surely over the next years.

The vine is in the background.

Santé!

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

PS  You didn't say what varieties they were:  Muscat, Alphonse de la Vallée, etc.

• Amazing! This has helped massively, on the back of the label it says vitis barbera and vitis Chardonnay 
    You're welcome.  They don't need any special care such as fertiliser or excessive water. unless you see that they are really struggling.  The roots will go down in search of water.  Vineyards often grow among stones and clay in most countries and rely on the elements for nourishment.   

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,388
    I would remove the bamboo canes, they won't be needed if you have tied the vines to the trellis. Don't tie them too tight though.
  • Okay, thankyou 😊