Forum home The potting shed

What plants do you love? And why?

13»

• B3B3 Posts: 19,936
    The white diascia might do the same job @Camelliad
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 400
    Oh pretty! I haven't seen diascia before. Thanks!
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,936
    Diascia seems to be a forgotten plant. It comes in a large variety of colours, but I don't think blue. It's drought tolerant flowers for ages, perennial , easily divided and I haven't noticed slug damage. What's not to like?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • MopaniMopani Posts: 25
    Over the years I’ve come to realise that I love foliage just as much as - possibly even more than - I love flowers.

In my own garden I love the dinky leaves and overall spookiness of my corokia cotoneaster, the many wonderful hues of physocarpus ‘Lady in Red’, the new growth and autumn colour of euonymus alatus compactus, my heucheras, and all my little collection of ornamental grasses.

Beyond my garden I love everyone else’s ornamental grasses, cyclamen leaves with their fabulous markings, hostas and … well, you get the picture.

I also love berries (I have 2 viburnum davidii just for their metallic blue ones), and bark such as on eucalyptus.

Oh, and I love every plant that produces the wonderful colours of autumn.

A lady on Gardeners’ World when displaying her garden - last year I think - said she believed you can have an interesting garden without any flowers.  I think she’s right, even if I wouldn’t go quite that far myself.
  • _Nicolas__Nicolas_ Posts: 6
    Too many to mention all of them, so I'll just say pretty much any perennial that attracts butterflies! My latest thing is eryngiums, I already have three and have just added E. zabelli 'Big Blue' and yuccifolium to my collection. Lysimachia clethroides looks amazing when established and is just about to flower for me, I also purchased L. ephemerum the other day and am looking forward to growing that one. Bit wary of lysimachias after seeing how cliata 'Firecracker' can form a huge colony in a local garden tho, hope the rest aren't anywhere as thuggish! Hebes are another genus I'm becoming increasingly fond of. From the plants already mentioned, +1 for eupatoriums, persicaria (although I'd go with bistorta 'Superba'), salvias, ceanothus, hardy geraniums and daphnes (but I can't grow them unfortunately, always too temperamental! LOL) 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,012
    That would be a too long list: Roses, rhododendrons, acers, hydrangeas (blue and purple, mopheads, but some pink and some lace caps mixed in for a variety are good too), tulips, x intermedia lavenders.
    To highlight some of my favourite perennials:
    Nemesias - but not all varieties are fragrant. My first was 'Easter Bonnet' and I haven't found a better one yet. I've had the plants for 4 years now, they flower May-Oct and they have a strong, wafting, vanilla fragrance.
    Alstroemerias - long season of flowering, an explosion of colour.
    Foxgloves - in the wild or in the garden, they are beautiful. I grow the wild ones and let them self seed. I also have some hybrids.
    Thymes - easy, great variety to choose from, good for edging.
  • Anything that attracts insects or wildlife. Fennel, foxgloves, roses, ferns, acers, tulips, cardoon, rhubarb, salvias, aeoniums, apple trees, alliums, sunflowers and anything given.