Forum home The potting shed

What plants do you love? And why?

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I love daisies and all open simple flowers and roses for scent.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 944
    Camellias, rhododendrons and peonies. Just love the perfection and variety of the flowers. Also love magnolias and acers. I’m starting to detect a bit of a Japanese trend? Lucky there are so many different plants for such different tastes. I saw quite a few plants I love on the hated plants thread, and vice versa!
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    Just looked it up on several sites (Wiki & dictionaries), Trees are indeed part of the Plant (Plantae) kingdom, actual definition in botany; "A tree is a perennial plant with an elongated stem, or trunk, supporting branches and leaves ... Trees are not a taxonomic group but include a variety of plant species that have independently evolved a trunk and branches as a way to tower above other plants to compete for sunlight."
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,739
    Tried to grow London Pride,can't think of the"correct name," our front garden was full of it as a kid, reminds me of my late lovely Mum, rarely see it in garden centres or nurseries.
    Saxifraga x urbium. One of my favourites and there's a nice variegated cultivar around now too. I love saxifrages and sedums. If I could only grow them I'd be happy. I've lost count of my sedums but I think it's well over 70 species now. :# The Sedum society has a really good cuttings exchange program which provides me with plenty of free plants. My saxifrages have suffered from the vine weevils over the last few years but this year they've absolutely thrived and the ones that have survived have all flowered amazingly. These are two of my favorites:

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • jonathan.colejonathan.cole Posts: 186
    I've got a tremendous soft spot for trailing Campanula. I know it can be a bit of a weed, but I remember it in my great grandmother's garden and my mum's. Now trying to get some going in mine too.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,396
    I have found a new love -nemesia. Well behaved plant with long-lived  flowers ,smells slightly of vanilla. I'll certainly get more next year. Unfortunately, this year, I just got one to try.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 400
    Every year at this time I remember how much I love poppies (somniferum) - they form a tall wall of flowers and there is no other time of the year that the garden is so so busy with buzzing things, all dipping in and out of flowers and bustling happily past eachother. I've tried various colours but there's only really one colour that seems to take and self-seed happily. Luckily it's a colour that I like.

My daphne transatlantica (eternal fragrance) is in full flower for the second flush of the year and the scent when you sit on the terrace is just wonderful. It makes me happy. It will flower again at the end of summer, albeit with slightly less vigour.

Wisteria and cherry blossom are probably my all-time favourites. I used to be desperate for long-flowering plants - and to a certain extent I still do try and choose those with flowering longevity - but I've learned to appreciate the changing seasons now and these two symbolise to me the changing of seasons in a way that none of the other flowers in my garden do.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    B3 said:
    I have found a new love -nemesia. Well behaved plant with long-lived  flowers ,smells slightly of vanilla. I'll certainly get more next year. Unfortunately, this year, I just got one to try.

Do you adore it?
  • CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 400
    @B3 I love nemesia too. I have found the white (Wisley) to be the least hardy in my garden which is a shame as I like them best but the purple types spread to fill big gaps in one growing season.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,396
    edited 29 June
    I don't do adoration, I'm afraid, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere 😉 @Fire but I do like it a lot.
    In London. Keen but lazy.