Forum home Problem solving

Topsoil spread on lawn full of broken glass

13»

• Thanks guys, expect a lot of posts from me in the future asking for advice and ideas. So far I have no idea what to do design wise, I've left a 50cm border on the sides and 100cm at the bottom to at least get some bedding plants in for the meantime. 
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,434
    Now is the ideal time to start planting some bulbs (daffodils etc) for spring colour, if you like that sort of thing.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    Well done getting that all resolved to your satisfaction.

For ideas, have a noodle round Pinterest which has loads of garden design ideas to help you decide if you want modern, traditional, cottage style but also sit down and make a list of things you must have - grass to play on, shed for equipment and garden chair storage, seating/dining area, kids' climbing frame/trampoline/whatever, pond for wildlife, herbs, fruit and veg, flowers for colour and perfume, shady corner, paths, bin storage, compost heat etc etc. 

Then divide that up in order of priorities, time and budget needed.   You don't have to do it overnight or even all in one year.   Take your time and let it evolve.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    It's so disheartening that companies just do the minimum they can get away with and only do things properly when you push hard.

If using council recycled soil, it maybe that a plot of soil used had a broken greenhouse in it, or similar. It might be good to remember that much of the glass and other rubbish will still be under the lawn and in the soil where beds are made. But at least things are safer for now.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    Take your time and enjoy it for a little while @kwack_craig .  You can make some lists and plans over winter and ask for advice through that time :)

With lists, it's often best to start with the things you don't like or want, and rule them out, whether it's colours, style or anything else.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...