Forum home Problem solving

Topsoil spread on lawn full of broken glass

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,878
    edited June 2021
    Even if the builders contract out the landscaping it is still the builders who are responsible to you. They are the people you have a contract with and they are the people you should be complaining to. Then the builders can read the riot act to the contractors and withhold their payments or any future work until it’s put right to the builders’ customer (you)’s satisfaction. 
    You don’t have any ‘power’ over the landscapers … the builders do … make them use it 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Even if the builders contract out the landscaping it is still the builders who are responsible to you. They are the people you have a contract with and they are the people you should be complying to. Then the builders can read the root act to the contractors and withhold their payments of any future work until it’s out right to the builders’ customer (you)’s satisfaction. 
    You don’t have any ‘power’ over the landscapers … the builders do … make them use it 👍 
    Tha ks for the advice, I'm waiting on the head builder to come out with the landscaper, hopefully today, to do an assessment on the work. 
    Let us know how it goes 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• It is possible the contractor used recovered soil. This is soil that is harvested from mixed waste and then screened before being sold as "topsoil". I had a quick look at the contractor's website and their claims that they are THE professionals to call are questionable given their failure to source soil free of contaminants and the risk it now poses to you, your child, pets and anyone who uses the garden. 

@Dovefromabove is spot on. The contract is between you and the house builder. The landscaping contractor has been engaged by the developer to undertake remedial works to satisfy long term issues with the lawn. The contractor has failed in their duty of care to carry out those works to a suitable standard but it's the developer that's liable. 

Expressing a desire to work this out amicably is the best strategy at this stage, but it does not hurt to make it clear that if it is not remedied to your satisfaction (and made safe for your son) you will seek legal advice. 

• Update for anyone who is interested I eventually got them to come back out they spent a whole day removing soil and hand picking glass, but by the end of the day I was still able to stand in one spot and pick up bits of broken glass.
    A bit more strongly worded conversation with the boss and they agreed to lift and re-lay the turf. And they did a great job of lifting leveling an putting new quality turf down.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Great results!
    Utah, USA.
    edited September 2021
    Great to see you've got a really good result.  It's good to know your legal position and then you can be calm but very firm ... just as you were ... now you've got the beginnings of a lovely garden for you and your family to enjoy.  Have fun out there  :)

If you have any more queries, you know where we are ... ;) 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,836
    Great result @kwack_craig. I hope you and your family have lots of enjoyment from your plot.  :)

Credit to the housebuilder/landscapers too, for doing the job correctly. Pity they didn't do that the first time though  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Great outcome in the end it makes you wonder how these companies ever make a living messing about like that it must be more profitable to do the job and get it right first time.
  • It it is such a nice garden! Reasonable size, sunny, and a nice blank canvas to design it just the way you like. Glad you had the issue with the broken glass resolved, enjoy the new house and garden. 
    Surrey