Forum home Fruit & veg

Have I mixed my squash plants up?

janntimsonjanntimson Posts: 54
edited June 2021 in Fruit & veg
In a nutshell I grew pattypan squash and uchiki kuri squash from seed. I was sure I had them the right way round and labelled them. I put what I thought was the pattypan in big pots and uchiki kuri in the ground against a climbing trellis. However the ones in the pots are looking distinctly more vine-like now and even growing climbing tendrils. I can't see how the heck I managed to mix them up but am very suspicious. Do pattypan grow climbing tendrils or have I mixed them up? Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    All the types of squash I've ever grown have some tendrils, so I wouldn't worry yet. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • janntimsonjanntimson Posts: 54
    Ahhh ok. Perhaps not mixed up then  :) I guess it stands to reason that the summer squash would be a bit further along at this stage too? Perhaps I'll just put the pots against the trellis anyway and just see what happens...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    Pattypans grow rampantly and have tendrils. I’ve grown both and the pattypans are quite large and really ‘wander’ but they don’t really need to ‘climb’ … I just let them spread across the veg patch … great for soup and courgette cake as well as stuffing and baking etc. 
    They seemed to make larger plants than the Uchiki kuri. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,454
    I found that my pattypans make large sized courgette shaped plants, not vines or climbers at all. and the Uchi kiri are indeed sprawlers. There could well be different types of pattypan though.