Forum home Plants

Rose Sucker?

hi

could anyone tell me if this is a sucker please? Thank you 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,526
    Hi Hayley, no not a sucker, just a healthy new shoot 😊 Suckers are generally green, thornless and the leaves are different, also they come from below the graft (the knobbly bit just beneath the soil where the root stock is joined to your rose).
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,372
    No, not a sucker, it's a lovely new shoot. Many roses have new shoots that start off red. Suckers grow below the graft, are often a paler green and have seven leaves instead of the usual five.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,372
    Snap @Nollie! I typed my answer and Internet had a wobble.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,526
    Oh I know all about internet wobbles @Busy-Lizzie 😆 
  • Thank you! I will stop watching it daily now ☺️☺️
  • HollyFinnHollyFinn Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new here and am horrified to learn that I've just chopped off a lovely strong shoot from my rose, thinking it was a sucker. Will it harm the plant in any way? That red stem and leaves in the photo was the questionable sucker. :(
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,099
    @HollyFinn
    ...well no, it won't harm it, it'll eventually sprout another one, but you will have disappointed the rose somewhat.   Some roses can appear to sulk for a time if a vigorous shoot has been taken out.

Suckers are green, not red..  Red = good...  green and with different foliage = sucker..
  • HollyFinnHollyFinn Posts: 2
    Thank you @Marlorena, I can live with that, but will know better next time. That is a very helpful tip :)