Forum home Fruit & veg

Coriander

pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 150
I grew Coriander from seed and when established I planted outside, it just grew very tall and then flowered I didn't get a chance to test any, how do you grow the stuff and harvest it? is it that you get a very narrow window to pick and use it?

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,189
    I've always struggled with coriander bolting but recently have been growing a variety called Calypso which doesn't run to seed nearly so quickly.

I also find that buying a plant from the supermarket and dividing it into several works well so they must also use a variety that is slow to bolt.
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 567
    I agree about Calypso. I find that seed takes a long time to germinate though, a bit like parsley. 
    East Anglia
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,189
    Interesting @Asarum! My two batches of coriander so far this year each took 8 days to germinate whereas the parsley took 22 days.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,454
    It also helps to sow it after the summer solstice it makes a much better autumn plant than a spring one, and it is fairly frost hardy so you can keep it around for much of the winter.
  • I have found sowing coriander directly where it is going to grow does much better than trying to transplant as it always bolts when moved.