Forum home Fruit & veg

Spots on potato leaves - is it blight?

YessicaHaircutYessicaHaircut Sussex coastPosts: 104
It's my first time growing potatoes and I have a couple of bags of first earlies and a couple of bags of maincrop growing. They were all growing vigorously and looking really healthy, but recently the maincrop growth massively overtook the earlies and the the earlies seem to have stopped growing and are looking quite unhealthy. There are brown spots on some of the leaves, but I've read that if it's blight, there should be white white mould underneath and there's no sign of this. Can anyone diagnose the problem for me please?

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,014
    The tops of potatoes often get marked & spots.  Have the early ones flowered yet? If they have it may be worth having a little rummage in the soil they might be ready.  1st early spuds only take approx 10 weeks in good conditions. They will never be as big in bags or pots as in the ground so enjoy them young. Lates take 12-18 weeks depending upon the variety. 
    AB Still learning

• YessicaHaircutYessicaHaircut Sussex coastPosts: 104
    edited June 2021
    Thanks for such a quick response. So you don't think it's blight or anything else serious going on? That's good news if so! :smile: The maincrop are flowering at the moment, but no flower action on the earlies. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    edited June 2021
    Some varieties don’t flower much if at all … if you planted your earlies more than ten weeks ago it’s time to start digging them up. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hmmmm... did I plant them more than ten weeks ago...? :/ I am new to having a garden and the potatoes were the first things I planted, but I confess I have only since realised the utility of keeping a record of when I plant things. So I know they went in in April, but it may well have been the end of the month. Is it ok to leave them a couple more weeks or do you think it's a good idea to have a little rummage tomorrow and see if they seem ready?

And thank you both so much for the responses. Heaven knows I've learned so much in the last few weeks already through googling and reading sites like this, but you can't beat a real human with experience responding to your specific question. My googling this morning had me thinking I was going to have to burn my spud plants!!
    edited June 2021
    Have a little rummage in the soil. If you find potatoes around the size of a small hen’s egg, that is real buried treasure … better than any hidden by pirates. 🏴‍☠️ 💰 

We’re going to dig our first ones of the year on Sunday to eat with gammon, parsley sauce and the first picking of our broad beans. 😋 🍽 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Fab, I shall do that! Enjoy your Sunday feast. :)
    Fab, I shall do that! Enjoy your Sunday feast. :)
    You too 😃 

Well, just as I thought I was sorted, I realise I've gotten myself completely confused. I *thought* they were first earlies, but they're Charlotte, which most google results are saying are second earlies. But then they're classed as a late first early here: http://how-to-grow-potatoes.co.uk/first-early-potatoes/charlotte-seed-potatoes/

I bought a patio potato kit from Suttons and the instructions were very minimal. I thought I'd managed to get things straight with what was what but...  :/ I now have no idea if I planted at the right time (I'm sure I must have read someone that the timing was ok - I wouldn't have plucked it from the ether.) I guess I'll have that rummage tomorrow and see what's lurking beneath!
    Well, definitely not at the small hen's egg size, but as I've had little Charlotte potatoes from the supermarket before I'm guessing fine to eat at this stage? 
    Looks lovely … enjoy 😊 

(and I’ve seen plenty of hen’s eggs smaller than that 😉 )