Forum home Fruit & veg

Damaged cucumber plant

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
One of my cucumbers has accidentally been trodden on. The main growth point is clearly done, will it regenerate a new main stem or is it now a lost cause? Otherwise it’s a good healthy plant but no point using the space if it is going to stop growing.

thanks for your insights.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,559
    edited June 2021
    The node below the damage will send out a new shoot that you can train as the new leader - no worries :)

PS - just cut the dead end bit off
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
    Wow Pete that was quick, thanks, so happy nature is wonderful in finding it’s own solutions. Thanks again.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,249
    @Jacquimcmahon I must say @Pete.8 is the go to guy for cucumbers. 😁
    How are yours doing this year Pete.
    :) Thanks @purplerallim- more by luck than judgement tho..

Last year was poor partly due to no compost other than the stuff I made wich was chokka with weeds and partly because I didn't tie the plant in properly and the whole thing fell to the floor of the greenhouse, and that was the end of it :(

This year so far so good - I've harvested 17 over the last couple of weeks and lots more on the way :)
    How are your coming on?
    A bit slow this year @Pete.8 
    Have one Pasandra and a couple of Beth Alpha that germinated. Have had half a dozen off the BA, but yet to get one from the Pasandra. Still early yet.🤞
    Yup - plenty of time left.
    I had 294 from 1 plant in 2018 - the first year I grew cucumbers! That's gonna take some beating!
    I remember well @Pete.8 😀 you set the bar high.🤣 
    Can't expect those heights every year, but would be happy with enough to eat over summer and some to make soup for the winter.😁
    The problem is that I'm not really keen on cucumbers, but I do enjoy growing them and the neighbours seem appreciative  - up to a point 😁
    I don't eat too many myself @Pete.8 grow mainly for hubby, but I do like them in soup in the winter.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread @Jacquimcmahon 😊just catching up on cucumber natter.😊