Forum home The potting shed

When neighbourly relations break down

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 832
    Lizzie27 said:
    The article didn't say that birds were nesting in the tree, the poster inferred it.

Bird poop is well known for ruining the paintwork (contains ammonia) on a car unless it it is washed off immediately and if it'd dried on is quite difficult to remove - I know, we have lots of flying seagull poop round here!
    Besides which, I can't even reach the top of the car. :#

Still, a living being is more important than a car's paintwork, isn't it?  After all the birds were here long before the cars, and they have to live in such close proximity to humans because we've taken over their habitats.  :(
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    they are better off selling the car.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,395
    Back in the day, I was late for work. I went to open the car and I swear to god, there was three inches of blackberry pigeon poo in the door handle. I was even later for work but I never parked under the tree again.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,175
    @Flydragon, NO, the car is more important to me than a flipping bird!
  • GravelEaterGravelEater The East of EnglandPosts: 85
    If the reason is bird poop, it kind of reminds me of the images of houses in a London suburb where residents had nailed those bird spikes all along the tree branches.  It looked utterly ridiculous, but I kind of saw the point, even if I didn't necessarily agree with it.

This is silly, it looks so ugly now.

And there is another issue here, and that is planting too close to borders.  Just because a plant is small now and the 3 foot void behind it looks stupid, it is going to grow!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,056
    You can buy the coating to put on your car,or pop a cover on it.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,350
    It should be illegal to plant a tree on a boundary unless the other home owner agrees to having your tree overhanging their property and your roots in their ground but even so it must be common courtesy not to plant so close without regard to their wishes.
  • GravelEaterGravelEater The East of EnglandPosts: 85
    It should be illegal to plant a tree on a boundary unless the other home owner agrees to having your tree overhanging their property and your roots in their ground but even so it must be common courtesy not to plant so close without regard to their wishes.
    In a perfect world, we'd all have deeds that had actual measurements on them showing boundaries too. 
    I'm not sure about a neighbourly agreement, but rather it'd have to be legally binding and thus documented when selling the property - after all no one of can live in a place forever.  I've seen structures built where a gutter overhangs a fence line.  Clearly the owner of said structure has agreed with their neighbour access to clean it.  I doubt that's documented anywhere and both parties are in their later years.  I can see problems should other folks live in either property: 
    "Hi, can I come around and clean the gutter, like I did with the previous resident?"
    "Nope, and I'll be taking it down as it's overhanging my border."

I've also seen plenty of trees in public space overhanging private property.  I've read some of the wrangles involved with that.  What a mess.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,350
    Strangely enough my neighbour told me yesterday that they would be knocking down a brick shed that they have at the bottom of the garden, the shed is on their property so that's up to them however about ten years ago they erected a fence which they asked if they could fix the posts to the original concrete fence posts which I agreed to but when it was completed it meant that the ugly side (posts and rails) were facing me and the nice smooth side is facing them, hey ho!  why worry, the fence didn't go right down to the bottom of the garden because the brick shed was in the way so I asked them if they minded me taking down my old rotten fence and planting a laurel hedge which would be on the boundary line which they agreed to, I was only thinking the other day how well it had grown and filled in the space, of course now that the shed is coming down they want to complete the fence which no doubt means the hedge will have to go, this is life things happen and thing change, as for overhanging buildings a few years ago they built a two story side extension and I made it very clear to them where I thought the boundary was and not to overhang so they built right up to the boundary line but after a while the pointing kept falling out of the edge of the roof tiles and they asked if they could fit edging pieces which would be on my side of the boundary of course I agreed as I have no intention to build anything in the space, if I change my mind I'm sure that it can be overcome. When I built a kitchen extension on the other neighbours side he asked that I build it 10cm back from the boundary which I did, who needs hassle I sure don't!