Forum home The potting shed

🐞CURMUDGEONS' CORNER XV🐞

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,177
    Does "Team GB" include Northern Ireland? ( which isn't in Great Britain ) 
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,770
    English are English when they win / British when they lose .All other home  nations are British when they win
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,272
    Yes @Hostafan1.  They should be called United Kingdom as that does include all 4 nations.

I read somewhere that Ptolemy was the first to make written reference to Great Britain - meaning what is now the mains island of the British isles (England, Scotland, Wales now) - and Little Britain meaning Ireland.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,425
    Wasn't there Pytheas? Didn't he (allegedly) visit the British Isles and circumnavigate them - but his writings were lost. Back in 2007 someone (forget his name) thought they'd discovered Pytheas' City of Apollo down near Stonehenge. Google'd it - here .... https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/1638952.lost-city-found-at-stonehenge/

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,819
    Just heard that a friend's daughter was towed to Gordano services on the M5 yesterday when her car broke down and waited SEVEN hours to be recovered back to her house which was only about 20 odd miles down the M5 anyway. I think the chap went off duty and forgot to tell anybody to pick her up!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,428
    B3 said:
    English are English when they win / British when they lose .All other home  nations are British when they win

Ain't that the truth.  All other nations are definitely either Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish when they lose.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,435
    edited 26 July
    Hostafan1 said:
    Does "Team GB" include Northern Ireland? ( which isn't in Great Britain ) 

If I understand correctly, people from Northern Ireland can choose whether they compete for GB or Ireland in the olympics.
    Team GB I think also can include people from the crown dependencies and from most of the British Overseas Territories.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,510
    @Lizzie27. We went West bound on the A30 on Saturday,   Both the east bound lanes were at a crawl for as far as we could see,  I would imagine by the time they’d got to the M5 a lot would need to call the services,  probably a few flat packed caravans as well, one past us must have been doing 80. Mph. Others not quite so fast😀
    We got off at the earliest opportunity and took the scenic route.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,560
    Said showers and storm here at the weekend, we did have 3 spots of rain, Saturday night.
  • NorthernJoeNorthernJoe Posts: 549
    B3 said:
    I think the reference is that Andy Murray is British when winning but a plucky Scot when he's lost.

Norn Ireland is included with team GB. The full team name is team Great Britain and Northern Ireland. If you watch opening ceremony when the teams march out that is what they call our team.