Forum home The potting shed

🐞CURMUDGEONS' CORNER XV🐞

• NorthernJoeNorthernJoe Posts: 549
    B3 said:
    I've noticed that many vegan substitute foods are highly processed with often a very long list of ingredients.
    @NorthernJoe assume girl was a typo. Did you mean petrol?
    Fuel became girl for some reason. A strange autocorrect mistake.

I used fuel but it's diesel of course. When Eastern firms were competing strongly even in France diesel was cheap enough to make a big difference. Now less so but there's not as many well equipped UK firms around as back in the day. My old company once held shares in one but that company did good business in furniture deliveries from factories in a certain European country into the UK. We used them to get most of the way back as a return load. Then our company bought into it to get a degree of control and preferential treatment. Eventually they sold their share but by then we were important to the haulage firm. I rarely see their vehicles now. They used to send out two or three trucks a day plus a container or two a week. In the end not as many trucks and customers also started to control their own logistics and more exw pricing came in.

For decade or more trucks we load are 80% or more with a Polish, Czech or Romanian number plate. A lot are single operator trucks even small box trucks booked through these larger haulage firms which act as clearing houses for when they can't support a load. The smaller box vans are usually driven by the owner who spends a lot of the year permanently on the road living out of the cab top sleeping area. You'll see them meeting up with mates in a quiet motorway services carpark. Not using the services for food just toilet and cleaning facilities. Not a nice live IMHO but they're doing it cheaper than UK are.

Right now trucks are still getting held up. Once held up even a short time it can mean missing the next job which means there's a delay elsewhere and the customs documentation needs redoing which causes more delays. Often now trucks are being pulled into service stations to get the paperwork checked before reaching the port. It's better to have them stuck at service stations in Lancashire than sat at Felixstowe waiting for the new paperwork.

It all adds up to fewer available trucks in the system.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,559
    did this not work  @Lizzie27

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,824
    I haven't had the courage yet to try @Lyn, so thanks for that download. I have successfully uninstalled other programmes so I'm not sure why I'm a bit nervous about this one!
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,774
    We've just had hail. With any luck it's brained a few pests😒
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,202
     Hopeless Hancock employs a " close associate" he's known for a long time, to a role being paid for by the pubic and then , it's alleged , has an affair with her, and we're supposed to just shrug our shoulders ?
    Welcome to the grubby world of Bojo and his Tory chums.
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,553
    edited 26 June
    Even worse she accepted an unpaid position. The payments she eventually received seem fairly trivial but are we to understand she was advising Hancock out of the goodness of her lobbyist company owning heart? Inside and intimate contact with the government advising them to follow the vested interests of the people who pay her to influence government policy for their own selfish gains and people seem more worried about Hancock breaking social distancing rules. And people will still vote for them...
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,202
    Even worse she accepted an unpaid position. The payments she evetually received seem fairly trivial but are we to understand she was advising Hancock out of the goodness of her lobbiest company owning heart? Inside and intimate contact with the government advising them to follow the vested interests of the people who pay her to influence governement policy for their own selfish gains and people seem more worried about Hancock breaking social distancing rules. And people will still vote for them...
    And Bojo " considers the matter closed"  Says it all !
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,559
    Not only the Tory government though is it?   The Liberals took a bit of beating and Labours done it’s share. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,732
    Bojo is in a bit of a glass house on this one, so it really isn't surprising he's had nothing to say. 
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”