Forum home The potting shed

🐞CURMUDGEONS' CORNER XV🐞

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,272
    People who eat fake meat clearly know very little about food processing or nutrition.  You don't need manufactured, highly processed and coloured soy or fungi based meat substitutes (huge environmental costs) to have a healthy tasty and varied diet but you do need to do some research and try new recipes and flavours and textures.

As for food shortages and lack of truckers, it was mostly done by EU pickers and drivers in recent years.  Older UK drivers have been hit by Covid and younger UK drivers don't want that life and/or can't afford the training involved.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NorthernJoeNorthernJoe Posts: 549
    The issue has been that Eastern European haulage firms priced UK haulage firms out of business. The first point in their favour was cheaper girl sources on the continent added to extended fuel tanks. Put simply a lot of foreign haulage firms never needed to buy fuel in the UK thus saving a lot of money. Cheaper drivers and other cost reductions. Aggressive pricing led to a race to the bottom which UK firms couldn't win due to higher costs.

Now that the UK isn't exporting as much there's less market and fewer drivers dropping off/looking for return journeys. They're still around but you're second choice. The other issue is the right vehicles. Often they cannot get the size you really need so you end up with two or three smaller vans than a single big truck.

Then there's delays due to customs and duties. Whilst that's mostly sorted with companies understanding the new system there's still plenty of potential to slow things down.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,272
    Brexit was voted 5 years ago.  Why has nobody involved in harvesting and trucking had the wit to come up with some creative solutions?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,770
    I've noticed that many vegan substitute foods are highly processed with often a very long list of ingredients.
    @NorthernJoe assume girl was a typo. Did you mean petrol?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,819
    I'm curmudgeonly about the constant ads to buy McAfee anti-virus which pause whatever I'm doing on the laptop. It was pre-installed but I've never liked it so installed free Avast instead on the advice of a professional web designer.
    Anybody know how difficult it would be to uninstall McAfee to get rid of the ads please?
    I've got Adblock on here as well, but it doesn't stop McAfee.
    I've just read his obituary, what a nasty crazy bloke, makes me even more determined to get rid of.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,926
    It could be that vegetable-based products are formed to look like sausages, bacon etc not to appease the vegans but to ease meat eaters into a more vegetarian diet, allowing them the satisfaction of eating things that resemble meat while reducing their meat consumption.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    I think that is the case, BenCotto.  I’ve been a veggie for longer than I’ve been a meat eater and I’ve been offered burgers and sausages made with quorn and other things while dining with meat eating friends. When I’ve said that it’s not really necessary to give me a piece of “meat” with my meal, the cook has usually said something like the meal feels incomplete without it. 

Some countries have developed extremely rich and varied vegetarian dishes and nobody says that the offering looks “incomplete”.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    I think you need to get a special download to uninstall it. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,819
    Oh goodness, really?
    I seem to remember my brother sent me a link but it was many years ago. I'm pretty sure it was McAfee but I wouldn't swear to it.