Forum home The potting shed

🐞CURMUDGEONS' CORNER XV🐞

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,098
    I was in a GC earlier looking at slow release fertiliser.  They had an offer on a brand that I didn't know,  but thought I might try it. They had two "types " one marked for general use and one for shrubs & Roses.  Guess what  when I looked at the details the formula was EXACTLY  the same in both. So I went for the brand I knew it was more expensive but a bigger pack,  I then realized the "expensive " brand actually works out cheaper than the offer price on the other one, because of the difference in pack size. 
    AB Still learning

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,560
    No, because she already has 2
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,370
    @Allotment Boy I put tomato feed round my roses last year it was the same make and packaging as the rose feed, I looked at the formula of both and guess what they were exactly the same. Marketing ploys eh!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    I don’t eat meat because I don’t like human beings’ cynical approach to healthy animals as sentient beings and the hypocrisy of their being slaughtered when compared to another sentient being, an infirm human being, being kept alive at all costs.

We say that a human being who has an unbearable illness must live out its life to the bitter end. Then we say that a healthy animal must be managed from birth to death, its weight and fat content and age all calculated for maximum enjoyment by a human meat eater.

There was a farmer near here who kept cattle. He died recently. He’d kept cattle all his life. He really looked after them. He’d walk into the field and they’d amble over to him and he’d hug their necks and tickle their ears. Next week, they were in Bakewell market, being sold off and driven in a juggernaut to the abattoir.  I can’t get my head round the mentality of one day hugging a young, healthy animal and the next day euthanising it for money.

I just find it obscene.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,031
    @NorthernJoe … if you want a fridge freezer moved just get @WonkyWomble
    ask her husband and big brother. Individually they’re both at least twice her size but … she’s the one who got it moved 😝 
    Did she hire someone or is she stronger than she looks? 
    She told the men in her life to stop moaning about their backs and get out of the way … she got it out of the kitchen, along the corridor, out of the hall, onto the terrace, down the steps … along the path and out to the roadside to be collected.  She’s about 5’5” and a size 8-10 … and as strong as an ox … and very stubborn indeed! 💪
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NorthernJoeNorthernJoe Posts: 549
    I think I need a better job or a winning lottery ticket. Kitchen, dining room, living room, garden and other projects being talked about might need  us to spend the same again as we bought the house for!!!
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,770
    My husband likes sunflowers. I don't. I sowed some and looked after them reasonably well. Despite being in full sun and watered reasonably well, they are etiolated with two leaves at the top of the spindly stem. Shame😐. He agrees  they're not going to do anything - result!
    No advice please😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    edited 25 June
    The Brexit bit I can understand, but where are the rest? They can’t all have been wiped out by Covid?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,098
    Maybe wiped out in the sense of,  gone out of business. Hard to tell. 
    AB Still learning

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,428
    I spotted in Salisbury's vegan, plant based bacon rashers!! I'm sorry but with all the fruit, vegetables, pulses, nuts, etc and all the things you can do with them why is there even a market for vegan, plant based foods that look like meat products?

Btw it's made by a well known maker of real bacon. Perhaps they are trying to get another market as meat free is becoming more common.

It just shows the utter hypocricy of many of the vegans.  They want the pleasure of eating meat but also the ability to occupy their high moral ground by only eating vegetables.