Forum home The potting shed

Doctors - prescriptions

• KiliKili Posts: 764
    FlyDragon said:
    Being on PPIs long term can lead to deficiencies in some vitamins and minerals, particularly iron and B12, I would hope one of your regular reviews would include blood tests to keep an eye on things. 

I book a wellman check every two years which does a range of blood tests. I hope it would show up any deficiencies. One to ask about at my next Wellman thanks for the heads up  :)  

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

Lizzie27 said:
    Killi, 80mg seems a very high dose. Just checked mine and it's only 15mg a day now, I was on 20mg before I asked my GP if I could try the lower dose as I too, was worried about the long term aspects of PPI's.
     I just have acid reflux though and it may be that your condition is worse than mine. I do voluntary control how much fat I eat in a day, which is a good thing as it cuts down on chocolate and cake!

Hi Lizzie27. Yeah it is high and I've spoken with the consultants a few times about it and they insist that I need to stay on that dose as I have what's known as Barrettes Oesophagus which I'm told is a pre-cancerous condition where the normal cells lining the oesophagus, have been replaced with abnormal cells.
    Had a bit of a shock when the C word was mentioned, but the consultant said " you'll die of anything else including old age before you die of cancer from Barrettes" . Thankfully its quite rare for it to turn to the big C. However I now cross the road extra carefully in case someone tries to take me out early  :D 
    Its not cancer, but could be if not managed carefully I'm told aside from an operation which they wont do the only treatment is PPI's.

I think your right to try and reduce the dosage, but you need to ensure its enough to reduce the acid in your stomach. I've ended up with Barettes because I ignored it for years and just kept taking Rennies. So be careful and ensure your not getting refulx else this can damage your Oesophagus as it did mine. 

I understand a big change to one's diet can also help cutting out acidic foods etc.., but because this is rather difficult for most ( me included) we just take the PPI.

Keep an eye on it Lizze27 we don't want it getting out of hand.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,175
    Thanks for the heads up @killi, let's hope we'll both live to a grand old age!
    Lizzie27 said:
    Thanks for the heads up @killi, let's hope we'll both live to a grand old age!

Me and you both  B)

George Bernard Shaw'

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 944
    Kili, if you feel your doctor is just running a business, and treating you like a customer, then you can behave like one. Take your business to another doctor, having checked they offer a service that you want.
    That said, many people would be very happy to have a regular check with their doctor, especially with a potentially very serious medical problem. Not being part of schemes like the NHS does mean that you will be directly exposed to the true cost of medical care, but presumably you pay less in taxes etc that we do within the UK.

It always surprises me when people are shocked at the cost of private dental treatment, or veterinary care for their pets. We are pretty insulated from what it actually costs to provide medical services, one of the reasons people don’t always appreciate it as they should, failing to keep appointments for instance.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,826
    It always amazes me that people think the prescription charge is a true reflection of the price of medication and complain about paying £9.35 for something which costs the NHS over £500! If people knew the real cost they might be less wasteful and demanding. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,699
    Totally agree @debs64 ... and it's worthwhile remembering that you're not just paying for ten minutes of the GP's time ... he has staff, premises etc, and has to pay for any tests done.  How much is the call out fee for a plumber these days?

And in the UK our health treatment isn't free ... we pay for it from our first pay-packet to the last, whether we're ill or not.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

That’s why it infuriates me when people won’t pay a few pence for a pack of paracetamol “ it’s free from the doctor” or when people return 20 unused inhalers at £40 each because they couldn’t be bothered to cancel the item. The tax payers are paying for that and if people all paid for their prescriptions there would be so much less waste. It’s a hobby horse of mine. The charge wouldn’t pay the true cost of the medication but people would be more careful. My fiancé is type 1 diabetic and gets free prescriptions but he pays for the items he can buy as he knows how expensive his insulin etc is and feels guilty about the drain on the nhs, even though he works and pays taxes every week of his life. 
    £5 per item would make people think twice 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 832
    Nobody in the UK needs to pay more than £10.40 a month for medication, if you need more than 12 in a year its more cost effective to get a pre-payment certificate that covers everything.  I'm on an annoyingly long list of medications despite being generally healthy and I've had one of these for the last few years.

A few people abusing the system is actually far less costly than if we introduced charges and people neglected their health due to the expense. 
    I agree that prepayment is a good idea in principle but when people happily wait for an appointment and then queue in a pharmacy for “ free “ medicines that cost less than £1 or order medication month after month and then don’t take it because it’s not costing them anything then things should change. Every week in our pharmacy alone we fill a dustbin sized bin with unused returned  medication which is then incinerated. 
    Medication that is available in the supermarket is regularly prescribed and most people don’t pay for their prescriptions. So many are exempt. A small charge for each item would make people realise that these things cost money.