Forum home The potting shed

Doctors - prescriptions

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,249
    Meant to have a annual review at our surgery doesn't happen, especially now. Another problem today, pharmacy,GP,she told me my 6 month ongoing repeat script had ended,I asked do I have to see the DR then she said no, they (the pharmacy ) would deal with it.had runaround conversation, THEN she said I have to speak to the GP asked if I have to give them the back sheet,she said no I could just ring,told her our GP DOESN'T accept repeat requests over the phone she said the surgeries ALL told her you could ring or e mail,not mine
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,958
    If you have to go, then you might as well try to get some useful advice as well as a prescription :).
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 832
    Being on PPIs long term can lead to deficiencies in some vitamins and minerals, particularly iron and B12, I would hope one of your regular reviews would include blood tests to keep an eye on things. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,563
    Killi, 80mg seems a very high dose. Just checked mine and it's only 15mg a day now, I was on 20mg before I asked my GP if I could try the lower dose as I too, was worried about the long term aspects of PPI's.
     I just have acid reflux though and it may be that your condition is worse than mine. I do voluntary control how much fat I eat in a day, which is a good thing as it cuts down on chocolate and cake!
  • We had an epilepsy clinic, annual check BP, blood test, 'how have you been? - nurse-run. Then our practice closed and we were transferred to a car ride away. No more checks even tho it shows a review on the script. 
    Mind you they do phone requests for repeat scripts and are careful not to give one out too soon. (I mislaid! a box of pills, thought I'd run out, surgery point blank refused to dish out more. I looked again and found them.)
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 165
    My surgery requires an annual medication review with a doctor. If you go more than a few months over, you get a letter stating they will refuse repeat prescription requests. At least they did until I pointed out the first item on my list was my insulin.

They also require a yearly meeting with a diabetes nurse. I have told them ALL my diabetes care is done by the hospital. So that's Feet? Done. BP? Done. Blood tests? All done. Why are you here? I don't know. 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,930
    Regular reviews of medication are the norm with long term conditions. Ventolin in particular has been targeted recently as people using it too much are not considered to be managing their asthma correctly. 
    Doctors can’t win, people would soon complain if they just doled out pills and potions without checking if they were needed or assessing any possible harm but people expect to get their medication when they want it despite often not knowing what the long term effects are. 
    £50 every 3 months doesn’t seem excessive to me. Pharmacies obtain prescriptions from doctors so if you don’t get your review would your doctor continue to issue prescriptions? 
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    4 gp visits a year does seem excessive.   I'm happy with my once a year checkup including blood tests.  Luckily that would be the only time I would see my doctor.  Thank god for good health.  I am on meds for cholesterol, depression and hrt for many years.
  • KiliKili Posts: 798
    edited June 2021
    debs64 said:
    Regular reviews of medication are the norm with long term conditions. Ventolin in particular has been targeted recently as people using it too much are not considered to be managing their asthma correctly. 
    Doctors can’t win, people would soon complain if they just doled out pills and potions without checking if they were needed or assessing any possible harm but people expect to get their medication when they want it despite often not knowing what the long term effects are. 
    £50 every 3 months doesn’t seem excessive to me. Pharmacies obtain prescriptions from doctors so if you don’t get your review would your doctor continue to issue prescriptions? 

£50 excessive! for many people it is I can assure you.

Doctors get no sympathy from me here where I live. Especially when their running a business. This isn't some universal healthcare system as in the UK these people are running a business not an altruistic entity. I'm seen as a customer, not a patient.

I've been in touch with 6 other surgerys and 4 of them say they would only need to see me once a year with 3 month prescription's provided.

As a childhood asthmatic when drugs such as ventolin never even existed I'm well aware of how to manage it as I had to do so without the aid of drugs. Basically just sit there and wait for the attack to subside and hope its not fatal.

Only the poor sod with Asthma can decide if he needs to use an inhaler or not. Only someone with asthma would know that. Not some practice nurse who's been given the task of pushing people on to using the long term preventative inhaler which in itself has long term side effects as its a steroid. I use ventolin as and when needed by me not at the dictate of someone who has no idea what gasping for air like a fish out of water is like, as with all these things it looks good on paper until you speak with the afflicted.

The medication I require beside inhalers has long term side effects of which I'm aware and I'm sure most sensible people make themselves aware when taking medication long term, but in my case and for many others there's no alternatives other than to take the medication or suffer the consequences of not doing so. You pays your money and make your choice and just hope that the known side effects for some patients doesn't hit you down the line.

No, if a review is not done prescriptions wont be issued at which point I'll have to get me balaclava on and tip toe over the pharmacy roof late at night o:)

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• KiliKili Posts: 798
    seacrows said:
    My surgery requires an annual medication review with a doctor. If you go more than a few months over, you get a letter stating they will refuse repeat prescription requests. At least they did until I pointed out the first item on my list was my insulin.

They also require a yearly meeting with a diabetes nurse. I have told them ALL my diabetes care is done by the hospital. So that's Feet? Done. BP? Done. Blood tests? All done. Why are you here? I don't know. 

seacrows, that all makes sense. Once a year would be more than enough for my conditions. Looks like I'll be moving surgery if I don't get a reply from my surgery soon.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'