Forum home Plants

Bottlebrush Splendens help

Hello
some advice please. Bought two of these shrubs recently. O e for myself and one for my father. Mine has had little attention. Light watering after repotting and is looking green and nice. 

My father has given his a good soak on multiple occasions and it is now looking very sorry for itself. 

The leaves have gone a yellow brown and I’m convinced that since my intervention there is some green returning at the base of the plant. 

What is the best course of action? Do nothing and hope for the best or give it a bit of a pruning? 

Any advice appreciated.

• Here is photo of said plant. I can’t figure out how to rotate if sorry 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    If as you say it's been watered on multiple occasions, that may be the issue. Hard to know. The soil should be free draining and a loam-based compost. Ensure the drainage holes are not blocked and it's raised off the ground with some pot feet. For now, keep it somewhere sheltered and shady to see if it will recover. Water it every 3 days in warmer weather and less when it's cooler

We have had some scorching sun for nearly 2 weeks, so it may have dried out. Cold wind can also cause their leaves to dry out and curl that way. But if you are seeing green appear, it's a good sign. Keep at it.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    These plants originate in Australia, hot and dry.  I would say he’s killed it with kindness, if he could plant it in the ground and leave it, it may recover but there again, may not.
    My daughter has one, she lives in a very warm dry part of Cornwall, never done a thing to it.  Planted and left alone.
    I hope your dad’s recovers but I’m not sure it will. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.