Forum home The potting shed

Plant identification

Please can anyone identify the tallest plant at the back of the border?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,648
    Phygelius  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ruth150Ruth150 Posts: 41
    Thank you Fairygirl 🙂
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,648
     :) 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,759
    Careful, they can be a bit thuggish.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,754
    Do they grow alright for you, then, @punkdoc? I like  the look of them and don't mind thuggish for the right plant, but RHS say they are only H4 and we are often lower than that here. I don't want yet another thing that needs carting in and out of the GH every winter!
    Hi punkdoc, No worries it's in my sister's garden not mine! 😉
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,998
    edited 21 June
    Some are hardier than others, I think, @Buttercupdays.  I grew Phygelius capensis 'African Queen' in Northumberland in a cold, windy garden, and wished I hadn't.  It burrowed under 4m of landscape fabric and bark, reappearing on the other side of the garden... and it survived minus 15 one winter!

I think the yellow one might be Phygelius aequalis, which is much less of a thug.  Don't know how hardy it is though.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 736
    I had phygelius - a pink one.  It tried to take over the whole of my front garden.  I dug out as many roots as I could over the course of a couple of weeks, refreshed the borders and laid a new lawn.  It is still appearing here and there and has a stranglehold in the area around the gas meter box where all I can do is snap off the stems as they appear as I cannot get to any roots.  I hate it.
     :'(  I will pass all your comments on. Thank you. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,754
    edited 21 June
    Apologies to @Ruth150 for hi-jacking your thread.
    Thanks [email protected] and @didyw for the info. Not something I will be rushing into this year for certain.