Forum home Plants

Foxgloves - replacements in midsummer

My beautiful foxgloves are getting/ have been flattened and broken by all the rain 😞
It has made me realise how bare one part of my tiny garden will look once no longer flowering.
What could I plant now or midsummer to replace them?
TiA

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119
    If you cut them back, they'll often produce another stem of flowers.
    Having said that, it would be worth going to a garden centre and having a look at what's flowering just now. If you have the foxgloves in a shadier spot, Campanulas will do well, if you want something with a bit of height. Hardy geraniums if you don't need that. Astilbes will be coming into flower around now or into July, and they would work. 

I grow Acteas with white foxgloves, but they make a large clump over time, so they might be too big for the space you have. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks so much @Fairygirl campanulas will be perfect.
    You previously helped me with sweet pea advice...I can confirm.that the sad looking seedlings are doing very nicely now!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119
    Oh -that's good. Glad my advice was ok  :)
    Just been on another thread about Japanese anemones - those like the same conditions as foxgloves too. The pink ones can sometimes be a bit invasive, but the white varieties are better behaved, so they might be of use  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,153
    If you pull them out , you can drop cosmos in their place or nicotiana.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204
    edited June 2021
    If it’s a sunny spot verbascum will give you the height you need, shades of yellow, cream, white, terracotta and rose. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh