Forum home Plants

STD Rose problem????

brenda1952brenda1952 Posts: 56
Good morning. This is a std rose I am growing for the first time. The black arc indicates the general height of the std. The other markings are of very tall stems that I’m wondering whether they are suckers and should be pruned out. Please can you advise. Thank you in Anticipation.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,406
    Can we see a photo of the main stem and root area please?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• brenda1952brenda1952 Posts: 56
    Oops stem photo is wrong way up as didn’t edit that photo. Sorry.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,902
     Course, when I saw the heading,my thoughts were NOT on roses!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,406
    edited June 2021
    Thank you ... I don't know enough about grafting to be sure about exactly where those shoots are coming from, but there are experts on here who will ... @Marlorena and @Nollie are very knowledgable ... and there are others ... hopefully they'll see this and be able to advise you ... 

Do you know the name of the rose variety?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you @Dovefromabove the label reads STD I AM MACMILLAN. I bought it last year whilst in flower so it may be I haven’t pruned it properly. Thank you again
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,633
    edited June 2021
    Rose Sexually Transmitted Diseases?

No, standard - like a lollipop.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,800
    ..they look like suckers.. probably coming off the same stem, just below the graft..
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,977
    We must have the same minds @Nanny Beach
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
    Thank you very much @Marlorena. You have confirmed what I thought. Thank you 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,954
    Well I’m honoured to be mentioned in the same breath as Marlorena, Dove as I would probably check with her too 😊 But yes they do look like suckers - the suspect canes look thornless, their new top growth is green, not red, leaves slightly different shape/texture, so all different to the growth of the actual grafted rose.