Forum home Plants

What’s this plant?

squirral87k4-WvGwTsquirral87k4-WvGwT Posts: 167
edited June 2021 in Plants
Does anyone know what this herbaceous plant is called?

It produces small lilac flowers in the summer. 

The leaves are much larger than the flowers and it’s very vigorous. It’s chocked out some lily bulbs and seems to thrive on neglect. 

• YMKYMK SW Ireland Posts: 6
    It looks like Japanese Anemone 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,345
    edited June 2021
    Another vote her for Japanese Anemone. Can be a useful plant for shade, but it needs reminding who’s in charge from time to time 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,421
    When I saw this post last night I thought Japanese Anemone too, but I didn't answer because of the small purple flowers. My three have quite big flowers, light pink, dark pink and white.
    Like these -

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,448
    [...]
    It produces small lilac flowers in the summer. 
    [...]
    That is quite vague. What do you call "small"? 1mm / 1cm / 1in / ?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,124
    Yes - pinks and whites for Jap. anemones, as @Busy-Lizzie says, but many of the whites look quite lilac in bud, and also have a lilac tint on the reverse of the petals, so maybe that's what the OP means?

There looks as if there are buds appearing in the first pic though. It seems early for them, but we're a bit later than many areas - July into August for them here.  

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you all. The flowers do look like the Japanese anemone I’ve just seen online so it must be that.

@Papi Jo “small flowers” is very vague - I meant small relative to the size of the leaves.

@Dovefromabove spot on. It’s chocked out the lillies planted around it! 

@Fairygirl - I’m in the SE and it’s in a warm spot right up against the front of the house so perhaps it flowers earlier here. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,124
    They can be quite invasive in certain conditions - especially the pink ones. They're less bothered by hotter, drier spells than the whites too.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....