Forum home Plants

Are these rudbeckia ready to plant?

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    @Lyn - I'll check the packet. They were free seeds with a mag, rudbeckia golden something,  plus two others. There's three different ones there, small, medium and tall :smile:
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    Fairygirl said:
    Sow everything a month later up here than they say on packets  :)
    I usually do! The pack said sow March to May, and I sowed them about 25th May. If we hadn't been going away I might have left some a bit longer before pricking out, though they were a fair tangle in the seed tray. First time I've sown into a tray, I normally use the multi-section module tray thingies.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,042
    Rudbeckia Goldsturm yes perennials (do you buy Garden News?)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    May was colder than normal too @Stephanie newish gardener - in a more usual May, they'd have been a bit further on. 
    Hopefully, the weather will be decent enough for them to get a bit of growth on, but temps in July can often struggle up here too, even in the daytime, so fingers crossed that won't be the case this year for your plants.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,890
    Rudbeckia Goldsturm?  That’s the one I’ve got.
    This was one clump in 2016 it’s bigger now, the plain bright yellow ones

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

So these are the packets...

And this is the other seed tray, sown on the same day, with cosmos, silene, tagetes, nasturtiums and diascia,  and only the two leggy diascias came up. I left them on the kitchen windowsill while we were away and they might actually survive!

The biggest surprise was the piece of root ginger I put in a pot weeks ago, then gently dug up as it seemed to have done nothing.  It had a root so I put it back, and this is what happened in ten days! 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,890
    Those rudbeckia seeds are only annuals so I don’t think you’ll get much out of them now,  maybe if you pot on the biggest ones you’ll get some blooms later. 
    The others you’ve sown are also  annuals, not much hope now, you may get some trays of plants in Morrison or Lidl for summer flowers then start again next year. 
    Sorry to be a wet blanket, but unfortunately gardening is not as easy as Monty makes it seem.
      It takes practice and patience but if you persevere and are determined you will get there. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Poo, that's no good. Not to worry. We are moving next year and I had hoped to get a bit more colour into the garden this year, but hey ho. Might get a few things in the little local GC instead 
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,229
    I grow annual rudbeckias from seed every year. Normally start them off in March.  However, I wouldn’t give up on yours yet.  I’d pot up the bigger ones into larger pots for a few weeks and try and get them in the ground at the start of July.  You should get some flowers this year, and they keep going til the first frosts. Good luck
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,229
    edited June 2021
    Here’s my rustic dwarves last October 

……and watch out for slugs when they first go in the ground