Forum home Plants

Climbing rose for a pot?

alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 316
Does anyone manage to successfully grow a climbing rose in a pot?
I would like to get something with a little bit height against a wall but have no exposed soil there. 
It's a white wall and tend to have more pinks, purple and lavender blue colours in the other containers. 
Thanks. 

• Lena_vs_DeerLena_vs_Deer Seattle WA, USAPosts: 203
    I have some, but it hasn’t been too long. I have a couple of 3 year old (counting since potting it ) Red ‘Eden’. There’s a pink variety called Pretty in Pink ‘Eden’. 
    This is the first year it gave me new 7ft stem, yet to find out what to do next year after I attempt to keep that length as a main stem :) 
    And I’m expecting some major repotting or root maintenance at a 5 year mark, so personally trying to just have fresh long canes every year and attach them like a fan rather than grow a long stem and let it spread sideways 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405
    I know @Busy-Lizzie has had some glorious climbing roses in containers ... hopefully she'll see this and pop in ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,954
    There are a couple of good smaller climbers 1.5-2m suitable for a pot, but it would still have to be a sizeable one. Look out for the Starlet range of miniature climbers from Tantau roses or Siluetta by Kordes. There are some nice looking roses in your preferred colour range.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,186
    I've had several climbing roses in pots, The Pilgrim, Malvern Hills, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Falstaff, all did quite well in pots at least 60cm x 60cm with regular watering and feeding, more than you would give an in ground rose. The longest I had them in pots was 8 years, I've moved house and my daughter has them now. I also has Phyllis Bide and A Shropshire Lad in pots but they didn't do so well.
    Dordogne and Norfolk