Forum home Garden design

Wire mesh fence and neighbours

MolamolaMolamola BelgiumPosts: 99
Our garden is bordered by a lightweight mesh fence, and I was not planning to (ask the neighbours if we could) replace that before planting, because we like how much light it lets through.  However, do you think this could create problems down the line?  

I'm planning to plant a couple of shrubs along that fence - a choisya, or shrubby magnolia stellata to create a sense of enclosure.  Could plants growing through the fence could annoy our friendly neighbours over time, even if we plant a little distance away from it? 

You can see the fence on my other thread here (it's on the left of the picture): https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1055157/rose-recommendation-single-small-flowered-climber/p1).  

Thank you. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I personally think it would be fine. Have a good chat with your friendly neighbours about planting plans, as they will get the benefit of your planting too. Talk about potential heights of the plants, what they look like in winter, flowering times, so you both know what to expect and what care/pruning would involve on both sides. Make it clear that you are happy to chat about it and review any time.
  • MolamolaMolamola BelgiumPosts: 99
    Thanks a lot @Fire - a good idea to share our plans with them! I didn't think of that. 
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    Well you already said in your initial post that you weren’t considering on asking the neighbours about replacing the fence before planting, so why on earth would you talk to them about planting on your side of the boundary? I don’t know Belgian law but in the UK your neighbours would be legally entitled to cut off any overhanging branches. This is the kind of thing that UK house buyers (or just me?!) would enquire about having remedied before buying a house. I want proper defined boundaries. 
    You could install your own mesh fence right up to theirs and then you can plant what you like up it. 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    She wasn't planning to replace the fence.

why on earth would you talk to them about planting on your side of the boundary?
    Courtesy. Her planting will be right in their garden.
  • delskidelski Posts: 274

Fire said:
    She wasn't planning to replace the fence.

Molamola said:
    ...lightweight mesh fence, and I was not planning to (ask the neighbours if we could) replace that before planting,...

Thank you. 

• squirral87k4-WvGwTsquirral87k4-WvGwT Posts: 167
    edited June 2021