Forum home Plants

Astilbe Fanal

Hi does anyone know what these black things are on my plant. The ants are crawling all over them. There are some black flies with wings dotted about on the plant. Are these black things going to be those flies? Or is it something else and do I need to do anything about it. I have another Astilbe (Europa) nearby and that has nothing on it. Thank you. 

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    They are aphids. You can hose them off. The ants are 'farming' them for the sweet liquid they produce.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    Posy said:
    They are aphids. You can hose them off. The ants are 'farming' them for the sweet liquid they produce.
    That sweet liquid is actually what the aphids poop...a sugary liquid commonly called honeydew!

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thank you both. I'll be out with the hose tomorrow. Would they turn into flies and would they do much damage before they did? 
  • Robert WestRobert West Posts: 236
    Funnily enough I've never had them on my astilbes but my sambuccus get loads of them every year. They seem to do absolutely no harm to those plants so I leave them be. If they're not affecting the plant maybe just let nature do its thing. 
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    You are testing my O Level Biology to the limit, now! I think winged aphids are born when conditions are right but ordinary aphids don't suddenly develop wings.
  • Thanks for your replies. I don't mind leaving them there as long as they don't destroy my plant. I only planted it a couple of months ago and it's doing really well.