Forum home The potting shed

Peony buds

2»

• Fairygirl said:
    Looks fine @paul.cartQaAzBT79- they can sometimes sit [annoyingly!] for a while at that stage, and you think they're never going to open, then suddenly - there they are  :)

The outer petals occasionally get stuck a little if you have a lot of greenfly on them [hence the ants] because of the honeydew they secrete.  It's often just a case of wiping them gently if you don't have enough rain to unglue them, but I'd wait a few days yet before doing anything.  Check them anyway.  :)
    Thanks, I wondered why the ants came.
  • Thanks everyone, finally starting to open, 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,115
    The ants are feeding directly from sap which peony buds excrete due to them being under internal pressure.  It's thought that this is an evolved mechanism to actually attract ants, which then 'defend' the peony buds against other insects.
    So, if you see ants on peony buds, it's completely normal and not a problem.  Isn't nature wonderful! :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,273
    I wonder if it's a Sarah Bernhardt https://www.waltersgardens.com/variety.php?ID=PAESB
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,583
    Interesting @BobTheGardener - I never have  much in the way of greenfly, but although we rarely have a lot of ants, I usually have some on the peony buds - there was certainly some this year - but no aphids that I could see. Every day's a school day  ;)

Glad your peony has opened @peecee1stml3twe2h. Looks grand  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• historymanhistoryman Posts: 114
    Interested to read about Peony buds - my problem this year is no flowers at all,  they have bloomed very well in past years - (mature plants). I am not alone in this my neighbour has same problem - any ideas?
  • I wonder if it's a Sarah Bernhardt https://www.waltersgardens.com/variety.php?ID=PAESB
    Rings a bell, I think that is the name. lovely smell.