Forum home The potting shed

Peony buds

Can anyone tell me why my peony buds are not opening, it has grown very quickly and is now static, no sign of opening.
Thanks.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,261
    There's a couple of reasons l can think of Paul, one is it's not getting enough sunshine, or possibly not enough water.
    Welcome to the forum by the way  :)
  • Thanks Ann, meant to post pics, here they are, looking normal, full of ants as usual but not opening.
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 585
    Looks like it’s about to. Mine are similar, I’ve cut some for the house because at this stage it’s easy to clean for vases so I think they will open.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,261
    Yes, l think another couple of days should do it. It's a fine size !

• Looks like it’s about to. Mine are similar, I’ve cut some for the house because at this stage it’s easy to clean for vases so I think they will open.
    I may try that.
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 585
    A neighbour used to have a lovely large peony in their little front garden and he used to mow it all down when he mowed his grass and I was amazed that it always grew back well and flowered in the same season. I wouldn’t dare do that to mine though.
  • Everyone stops to smell and admire it, hope it opens.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,567
    Well it looks absolutely gorgeous,do you know the variety?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,779
    Looks fine @paul.cartQaAzBT79- they can sometimes sit [annoyingly!] for a while at that stage, and you think they're never going to open, then suddenly - there they are  :)

The outer petals occasionally get stuck a little if you have a lot of greenfly on them [hence the ants] because of the honeydew they secrete.  It's often just a case of wiping them gently if you don't have enough rain to unglue them, but I'd wait a few days yet before doing anything.  Check them anyway.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....