Forum home Plants

Identify

linzi64uklinzi64uk Posts: 89
Hi all
Ive had this pot for some years with some form of mint, which doesn’t get used in cooking as not sure if I can, but it smells nice. This year I have suddenly got this plant growing with it. Is it a friend or foe?? Thankyou

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159
    I think the mint is pineapple mint. The friend in the pot looks like rose campion, Lychnis coronaria.  It is usually carmine red but can be white or even a blush pink.  It should flower soon for a better identification.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • linzi64uklinzi64uk Posts: 89
    Thank you fidgetbones. I thought it was pineapple mint but wasn’t sure. Can it be used in cooking or is it just ornamental?? I will look forward to the rose campion flowering, I don’t think it should be too long. Would you advise planting it in the garden next year or is it best contained in a pot
  • Lena_vs_DeerLena_vs_Deer Seattle WA, USAPosts: 203
    Pineapple mint is fine to eat, we make a lot of mojito drinks with it! And just like any mint it doesn't really care where it grows. Pot is easier to contain, but you need to water it regularly. Straight in a garden is easier to grow, but it spreads. So whichever way you find easier :) 

There's also apple mint. They just smell differently :) 
    Thank you Lena_vs_Deer. I actually don’t like mint myself but have friends that do. The pineapple mint has been in the pot since we moved in the house so think I will leave as is. The campionis just about to flower so I will put a pic on here when it does. Am I best trying to separate the two or are they okay together as they both seem happy enough 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    Every time I read the title of this thread it comes across in a dalek voice -  I-DENT-IF-Y!!! I-DENT-IF-Y!!!  Probably just me though.  Gave me a giggle.  
    Utah, USA.
    We finally have a flower on the Campion for better identification. Also can someone tell me if the first pic are marigolds as that’s what I have been told since we moved here and now another person said it isn’t although couldn’t name it. All I do know is it is a nightmare and as much as I de-head before the seeds are ready, I’m still over run with it.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,464
    edited June 2021
    It’s a relative of the campions now called Lychnis coronaria, common name Rose campion. 

And the orange flower is a Calendula common name Pot marigold 😊 Can’t get it to grow here 😢 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dove from above. I’ll send you a barrow load lol. I can’t get it to stop growing. I’ve dug it all up three or four times but kept some in a couple of pots for the colour and as said before, I        de-head regular before it seeds. I have given clumps away to friends, and bags of seed heads which have grown. I’ve even tried taken the heads off as soon as they wilt (as you can see in pic) Last year I took all of them out of my back garden & just had 2 pots in my front but I must have missed a few as my back garden is full of them once again😩😩