Forum home Problem solving

Is this Japanese Knotweed?

This planter originally contained a clematis, but now it no longer flowers and I fear it has been 'replaced' by a self sown Japanese Knotweed plant.   Is this the case?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,515
    edited 16 June
    Welcome to the Forum.
    Not Japanese Knotweed , it's  Russian vine,horrible thing. just as invasive though. I'd get rid of it.
    It can grow about 20 feet in a year
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,332
    edited 16 June
    Not quite as bad ... at least Russian Vine doesn't break through tarmac from underground ... but yes, it'll clamber over everything in your garden and grow new roots everywhere a branch touches the ground.  Cut it hard back and treat new growth with SBK Brushwood killer  ... you can beat it ... we did  :D

Sadly it's one of the climbers that get packaged and sold to the unwary by discount stores and supermarkets 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Some nut job planted it to grow through a conifer hedge here before we moved here
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,332
    I know, I've seen it  ;) .... another nut job planted some here before we moved in ... to cover the fence ........ what with that and the ivy it nearly covered the whole street  :open_mouth:

And then there was the nut job who planted some to grow up a drain pipe in a garden I moved to ........... one night soon after we moved in, the weight of a heavy rain on the foliage meant that it brought the downpipe and guttering down off the front of the house  Grrrr!!!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I know, I've seen it  ;) .... another nut job planted some here before we moved in ... to cover the fence ........ what with that and the ivy it nearly covered the whole street  :open_mouth:

And then there was the nut job who planted some to grow up a drain pipe in a garden I moved to ........... one night soon after we moved in, the weight of a heavy rain on the foliage meant that it brought the downpipe and guttering down off the front of the house  Grrrr!!!
    I think we can agree it's NOT a keeper. ;)
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,146
    It's in a container so it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of, as long as it hasn't rooted through the bottom and into the drain. If you cut off most of the top growth you might be able to tip out the whole lot and disentangle and rescue the clematis.
    I'd guess, looking at the photo, it's russian vine with a clematis on either side, one of which looks dead. 
    I'd suggest it's pretty much a certainty that the RV has found its way into the ground .
    I'd remover the whole thing, get it out altogether. I'd not risk disentangling as your bound to leave some RV behind. 
    I'd start again.
    Devon.
  • crimbimcrimbim Posts: 2
    Phew!  Main panic over, but now to deal with the RV.

Thank you everyone for your help.  Much appreciated!