Forum home Plants

Are these stinking irises?

EustaceEustace Posts: 2,008
Can someone help me with these 2 iris flowers? They are from 2 different plants, though they look quite similar. Someone told me they're stinking irises. Are they? TIA.

Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• didywdidyw Posts: 3,207
    They look very similar to the iris foetidissima that popped up in my garden.  Happy to have them where they appeared. (I suspect birds).
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • AaronBilAaronBil Posts: 100
    I’d say so, I’ve got one but not sure I’m keen, might take it out 
  • B3B3 Posts: 26,526
    Probably. I've never noticed a smell. I like them
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,112
    Hellebores foetidus are one of my favourite plants … marvellous colour from the seeds in autumn 😎 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• EustaceEustace Posts: 2,008
    Hellebores foetidus are one of my favourite plants … marvellous colour from the seeds in autumn 😎 
    @Dovefromabove iris foetissidima, you mean? 🙄
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,112
    Eustace said:
    @Dovefromabove iris foetissidima, you mean? 🙄
    Yes 🙄 flippin ‘echium!  I’m still in bed and on my first coffee … please excuse … brain not yet switched on … second coffee has just arrived … glad you knew what I meant 🤭🙄🥱
     ☕️ ☕️ ☕️ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 920
    It’s the leaves that smell but only if you crush them - a sort of meaty school-dinner roast beef. The flowers have no scent at all. The seeds pods open to reveal gloriously vivid orange seeds which keep their colour all winter
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 2,008
    It’s the leaves that smell but only if you crush them - a sort of meaty school-dinner roast beef.
    Why do they call it stinking iris then? 🙄

• B3B3 Posts: 26,526
    I shall crush one today. Plenty to chose from
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,529
    Yes. The birds though don't take the red seeds in the winter even though they take all other red berries/seeds in the garden.
    Maybe these seeds are "stinking" as well.