Forum home Plants

Are these stinking irises?

EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,118
Can someone help me with these 2 iris flowers? They are from 2 different plants, though they look quite similar. Someone told me they're stinking irises. Are they? TIA.

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,068
    They look very similar to the iris foetidissima that popped up in my garden.  Happy to have them where they appeared. (I suspect birds).
  • Aaron 583Aaron 583 Posts: 92
    I’d say so, I’ve got one but not sure I’m keen, might take it out 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,325
    Probably. I've never noticed a smell. I like them
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,373
    Hellebores foetidus are one of my favourite plants … marvellous colour from the seeds in autumn 😎 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,118
    Hellebores foetidus are one of my favourite plants … marvellous colour from the seeds in autumn 😎 
    @Dovefromabove iris foetissidima, you mean? 🙄
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,373
    Eustace said:
    @Dovefromabove iris foetissidima, you mean? 🙄
    Yes 🙄 flippin ‘echium!  I’m still in bed and on my first coffee … please excuse … brain not yet switched on … second coffee has just arrived … glad you knew what I meant 🤭🙄🥱
     ☕️ ☕️ ☕️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 748
    It’s the leaves that smell but only if you crush them - a sort of meaty school-dinner roast beef. The flowers have no scent at all. The seeds pods open to reveal gloriously vivid orange seeds which keep their colour all winter
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,118
    It’s the leaves that smell but only if you crush them - a sort of meaty school-dinner roast beef.
    Why do they call it stinking iris then? 🙄
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,325
    I shall crush one today. Plenty to chose from
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,702
    Yes. The birds though don't take the red seeds in the winter even though they take all other red berries/seeds in the garden.
    Maybe these seeds are "stinking" as well.