Forum home Plants

To compliment Bamboo

BOTBBOTB Posts: 59
What plants that are child friendly that would look good with Bamboo?

I have Black cane bamboo where I’d like some plants to go. 

Some ideas would be great 😊 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,921
    Your bamboo won't thrive for long in that pot so are you planning on planting in the ground or continuing to pot on ?  It doesn't look too happy at the moment.

There is no such thing really as a "child friendly plant" but children usually like stuff which grows quickly and enables them to see a result from their efforts. Simple colourful annuals which contrast well with the black canes perhaps ? If you mean by "friendly" as non toxic, teaching the child not to nibble any foliage/flower unless you as the parent says it is OK is really the way to go.  Not only in your garden but out in the countryside too.  

The main thing is sorting out your bamboo to get the best from it :)

• BOTBBOTB Posts: 59
    Your bamboo won't thrive for long in that pot so are you planning on planting in the ground or continuing to pot on ?  It doesn't look too happy at the moment.

There is no such thing really as a "child friendly plant" but children usually like stuff which grows quickly and enables them to see a result from their efforts. Simple colourful annuals which contrast well with the black canes perhaps ? If you mean by "friendly" as non toxic, teaching the child not to nibble any foliage/flower unless you as the parent says it is OK is really the way to go.  Not only in your garden but out in the countryside too.  

The main thing is sorting out your bamboo to get the best from it :)

It’s been battered by a cold spring and high winds plus it’s been moved. It’s going into a big pot once it arrives. 

Yes non toxic as I have a child with Autism who sensory seeks and licks everything so wanted to plant colourful plants. The other children know just to pick the herbs from the herb garden. 

I’m still learning, I heard Lillies are a no go as they kill cats (I have one of those too 🤣 ) I just want a safe garden if there is such a thing 😊
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,922
    Being a pedant, I expect any plant would be nice to your bamboo, as to which plants would complement it, I am not sure.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,356
    I'd not worry about lilies "killing cats" Lots of members of the forum have both living happily side by side. 
    Methinks more of a theoretical possibility than a certainty.
    Devon.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,921
    BOTB said:

It’s been battered by a cold spring and high winds plus it’s been moved. It’s going into a big pot once it arrives. 

Yes non toxic as I have a child with Autism who sensory seeks and licks everything so wanted to plant colourful plants. The other children know just to pick the herbs from the herb garden. 

I’m still learning, I heard Lillies are a no go as they kill cats (I have one of those too 🤣 ) I just want a safe garden if there is such a thing 😊
    Ah - that does perhaps make a bit of a difference if licking everything is the issue.  I've no experience of Autism so can only suggest easy colourful plants which may be more exciting to look at rather than taste.  It's unlikely that just licking will prove a problem but you will know more about that than I do.  You would need to consume a lot of something to do you any physical harm but again, I understand your concerns.
    As far as the Lillies are concerned, I believe it is the pollen which does the damage - cat gets pollen on it's fur, licks fur to clean itself and ingests. 
    A safe garden ?  depends on who and what you are to say it's safe or not but a garden is rarely dangerous for the human race :)  
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,737
    My neighbour, a vet, does see very occasional instances of lily poisoning of cats but has seen no cases at all of cats poisoned by other plants.
  • BOTBBOTB Posts: 59
    BOTB said:

Ah - that does perhaps make a bit of a difference if licking everything is the issue.  I've no experience of Autism so can only suggest easy colourful plants which may be more exciting to look at rather than taste.  It's unlikely that just licking will prove a problem but you will know more about that than I do.  You would need to consume a lot of something to do you any physical harm but again, I understand your concerns.
    As far as the Lillies are concerned, I believe it is the pollen which does the damage - cat gets pollen on it's fur, licks fur to clean itself and ingests. 
    A safe garden ?  depends on who and what you are to say it's safe or not but a garden is rarely dangerous for the human race :)  
    I have to hunt the garden for snails before I let him out as I’ve found snails in his mouth before 🤢