Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is wrong with my foxglove plant?

This plant seems to be dying but I’m not sure why or what is wrong with it. We bought it about a week ago and it wasn’t in great shape but far better than this. What can I do? Is it getting too much water or not enough, or not enough sunlight? It’s a Dalmatian peach foxglove. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719
    I would cut off the flower spike,put it in the shade and lots of water. I do this about a week with every plant I buy,find It Pays dividends
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,566
    edited June 2021
    The main flower spike has done its thing and is dying off. There are side shoots forming lower down, so I would cut it down to about the level of the bottom of the grey brick on the wall behind, and it might make some smaller secondary flower spikes. Foxgloves are naturally woodland-edge plants, so partial/dappled shade is good for them. They don't need or want baking full sun.
    Edit: I just looked up Dalmation Peach. Apparently it's an F1 hybrid variety so it's unlikely to come true from seed. You can let it form seed to collect or self-sow if you like, but the offspring will probably be different colours and over time they'll most likely be mostly purple.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Thank you all! That’s really helpful! Will do!