Forum home Problem solving

Help! New turf going dry and yellow!

Looking for help with turf. I’ve done so much research and I know the ground prep was right, but up the top of the garden, the turf has gone brittle, dry and yellow. I have watered the garden more than I should lately because of the hot weather. 

Is it recoverable? 

My first thought is that the garden is sloping away from the fence, so water maybe draining quicker from the top? If I have the sprinkler on the water runs down the garden under the turf. Also, the top of the garden has the sun all day. 

I have just watered it loads and fed it with turf feed. 

Any suggestions? I don’t think the 27 degree heat helped!! The turf is one week old and is quality turf. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,065
    Water, water and water more. Don't feed it.
    Water at night if you have sunny conditions - and leave the sprinkler on for a couple of hours when you water.
    The water will only run 'downhill' if it isn't penetrating the soil to begin with. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Water, water and water more. Don't feed it.
    Water at night if you have sunny conditions - and leave the sprinkler on for a couple of hours when you water.
    The water will only run 'downhill' if it isn't penetrating the soil to begin with. 
    Thank you! I picked a corner up and roots seem good and healthy. 

I’ll keep watering as you said!
    It's only been down a week, so it needs plenty of water, specially at this time of year. Your pic wasn't there when I replied, but yes - it's parched  :)
    If you bear in mind that when it rains - even if only for a couple of hours - that's how much new turf needs on a regular basis to get it going.  :)

• Fairygirl said:
    It's only been down a week, so it needs plenty of water, specially at this time of year. Your pic wasn't there when I replied, but yes - it's parched  :)
    If you bear in mind that when it rains - even if only for a couple of hours - that's how much new turf needs on a regular basis to get it going.  :)
    Thank you. I was worried it was dead and done, but hopefully it will come back with plenty of watering! 
    It should  :)

• BOTBBOTB Posts: 44
    I have 3 patches like that and have been watering like crazy not knowing if it was the correct thing to do so your post has been helpful. Hope it’s not too long before it’s green again 😊
    The important thing is to water thoroughly for a long period, rather than little and often, which does more harm than good. The roots are permanently being kept near the surface if that happens, which makes the grass weaker.
    The aim, as with any plant, tree or shrub, is to get roots down deeper, so that during dry spells, the plant can recover more easily. Grass is just a plant, like any other  :)

• Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 330
    Can't add to the advice already given other than most water added during the day is probably evaporating. I like using soaker hoses at night attached to a timer in these situations.
    Indeed - that's why I said to water in the evening if you have sunny, hot conditions. It's a terrible waste of resources otherwise  :)