Forum home Problem solving

What are these yucky bugs on my pieris?

zakthecatzakthecat Wallasey, MerseysidePosts: 41
I've just discovered sooty mould on my pieris and when I checked the underside of the leaves I found these nasty beasties. They don't seem to correspond with any of the four main culprits identified on the RHS web page, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what they are and how to get rid of them.
Thanks

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,364
    Scale insects. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=224 The white stuff is the eggs. How bad is the infestation? You could remove the affected leaves and burn them or similar if there's a lot or just leave them for the predators if there's only a few. Make sure the plant is kept healthy and it should suffer a minor attack quite easily.
  • zakthecatzakthecat Wallasey, MerseysidePosts: 41
    Thanks Wild Edges
    I'd say the infestation is quite bad but I've only just noticed it as it's only affecting the part of the plant that backs onto the fence so isn't normally visible (I was crawling around doing some serious weeding when I first found it). I've got some Bug Clear Ultra but I'm a bit loath to use strong pesticides unless there's no alternative.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,065
    You can wash them off - use your hand as well.
    The part nearer the fence will be more prone to pests because it has a poorer environment and air flow. Humidity as well  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks Fairygirl
    Do i just use plain water?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,065
    Yes, but make sure you get them off properly and dispose of them if possible   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire LondonPosts: 10,153
    It seems to be a bad year for scale.
    Thanks everyone, I think I'll get the marigolds on and try washing them off.