Forum home Problem solving

Pieris problem

Does anyone know what the black coating on top of the leaves is and white fungus underneath the leaves is and how to get rid of it as it is killing my two mature Pieris bushes ? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,419
    edited 15 June
    Hi and welcome to the forum 😊
    Can we see some photos of the problem please?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,179
    They can sometimes get a sooty mould, which is probably what the black coating is. It's usually caused by scale insects or mealybugs or similar, which results in the white furry material you're seeing underneath. 
    A photo or two would help though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Sorry I am new to this not sure if photos are attached thank you for looking at this for me it does look like soot on top and furry bits underneath is there hope to save them ?? 😳
    Those are a type of scale insect … info and advice here 
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Profile?PID=483 

It seems there’s a lot of them about this year. 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you so much for the reference which I have just read I am now more hopeful that I can save them both as it is killing them slowly I noticed it last year too but sadly I did nothing 
    thanks I will let you know how they go!!! 
    😊 Good luck 🤞 

• Aaron 583Aaron 583 Posts: 61
    !! Get some resolva bug killer on it pronto. I spray for lace bugs post flowers going over and again end of July ish depending on activity. Sorry but otherwise I’m sure I’d lose them 
  • Ok thank you