Forum home Problem solving

What are these black spots on my sunflower seedling leaves?

They appeared a few days ago. I initially thought they are some kind of dust on leaves and tried to rubber them off. But no, they are part of the leaves now. The seedling seems to grow alright though.  I've looked up online and saw they are unlike any typical sunflower deceases. 

Other two seedlings in different pots don't seem to be affected.

Can someone help identify the problem?

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 506
    I have similar and even worse than yours. No idea either but glad you asked the question so hopefully someone knows.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 784
    Mine are like that too, but since they're still growing well I've not been overly worried by it...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,059
    Some varieties simply have those black markings   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 506
    I thought it was black fly damaged?
  • rolanda.woorolanda.woo Posts: 23
    Mysterious... The seedling is still growing strong despite the spread of the black spots. I'm not quite sure what to do with and constantly fear it would infect other plants...
  • GearóidGearóid EnglandPosts: 38
    Which variety are they? All yellow ones or are there some oranges and reds too?
  • CharlotteFCharlotteF Posts: 36
    Darker sunflowers often just have this pigmentation in the leaves.
    It's likely a reddish variant. But I can't be sure, as I didn't keep record of the source of these sunflower seeds. Bought more than one variant, I'm sure. So this might be a red variant my son picked out without knowing (he threw all the packing away and mixed up all seeds!)

I will keep an eye on it. It's interesting to know it might be pigmentation. So far it seems retained on this seedling only without spreading. I will report back when the plant matures.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 784
    Darker sunflowers often just have this pigmentation in the leaves.
    That's interesting... my dark Claret sunflowers have more black spots than my lighter Ruby Eclipse ones. 
    Just an update. Over a month after, the sunflower has grown to over a meter tall. Strong and healthy. The colour pigmentation seems not anything to be concerned of.