Forum home Garden design

Forward thinking

Good evening all. So as I have posted many times before, I am a novice gardener. Me and my family finally moved into our forever home and we have what I would consider a lovely south facing garden. We have only been here since March so I have done what I could with the garden with the time that I have had. However, I am now trying to forward think and get a plan sorted for next growing season.

I want a fully edible garden with possible year round edibles (I have read kale is a great grow for a year rounder). I’m after some ideas of what would be good to grow, relatively easy to grow, what pairs well, what deters pests etc… I have attached a pic of my garden as it currently is. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,781
    I definitely fall into the novice category, but, in terms of perennial edibles, I've found rhubarb and strawberries very easy to grow and propagate.
  • Jamie DJayJamie DJay Posts: 62
    Biglad said:
    I definitely fall into the novice category, but, in terms of perennial edibles, I've found rhubarb and strawberries very easy to grow and propagate.
    I was thinking about doing rhubarb next year, I love rhubarb… the raised bed on the right has 9 varieties of strawberries, I ain’t going to get much of a crop I don’t think, and apparently for my size family (6 of us) I should be looking at about 30 plants for a decent crop for the whole family 😧
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,547
    @JamieDjay, you could try growing an espalier apple tree (google it) against your sunniest fence, also a cultivated blackberry ditto.  I also grow 2 gooseberry bushes in a very small space, both pruned to a 'U' shape so upwards rather than as a bush - easier to pick as they are very prickly. You could also try hanging baskets or wall pouches with strawberries in. I'm not sure about vegetables, maybe all year round salad leaves?
    Good luck.
    Lizzie27 said:
    @JamieDjay, you could try growing an espalier apple tree (google it) against your sunniest fence, also a cultivated blackberry ditto.  I also grow 2 gooseberry bushes in a very small space, both pruned to a 'U' shape so upwards rather than as a bush - easier to pick as they are very prickly. You could also try hanging baskets or wall pouches with strawberries in. I'm not sure about vegetables, maybe all year round salad leaves?
    Good luck.
    The 2 trees are fruit, 1 is apple and 1 pear. I like the sound of blackberry and gooseberry though! The raised beds on the right are strawberries. I have some Italian salad leaves and wild rocket, it won’t stop growing! I’ve cut it back 3 times already the last 2 weeks. 
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,253
    Done 'properly', i.e. well prepared, there are three rewarding food crops you could try.  Space isn't your best friend, so runner beans (24 plants in a square metre/yard) will provide fresh beans in summer, some frozen for winter, seed for the following year, and an ideal depository for your kitchen waste.  'Gladiator' parsnips can be huge and will last through winter, as will leeks.  Preparation is key, allowing the maximum number of plants in your available space.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    Interestingly,no one said grow what you like to eat,but you seem to be unfussy,haha. Do you mean you want the whole garden edible,? Kids to consider,play area? I don't know how big your garden is in real terms,(you might have one if those "magic" cameras estate agents use,that make 10mt look like an acre!) You could utilize the patio,/paving. I have a brilliant book GROW ALL YOU CAN EAT IN 3 SQUARE FEET, different writers,but easily found,using a multitude of containers,gets you away from the rotation problem.Any kind of green house you can fit in,biggest you can get for Your money and space,lean to by the house? Cold frame,use the walls 
    @Nanny Beach that was a panoramic picture I took. It’s a sizey enough garden… I was to utilise all the borders and the raised beds, I have 4 kids so have to leave the grass and patio free for them to play. I ain’t really fussy to be fair, I just want to grow stuff that can be eaten. I spoke to a chap yesterday whilst on a walk and he suggested rhubarb, said it’s very easy to grown and crops nicely, so I’ll definitely grown some of that!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    It does take up an awful lot of room, for the crop you get and the days when my grandad had a huge amount have long gone,get the kids involved (that's an order haha,) quick crops beans,/peas
    @Nanny Beach i have peas on the go, although it’s in a large pot and there’s about 7 in 1 pot 😫, so they’re all tangled up and I ain’t expecting much from it now. Or maybe I will? I’ll definitely have to go with the beans though!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,293

Make sure you allow enough space for your rhubarb. It’s a large plant if grown well. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh