Forum home Problem solving

Lavender flowers shriveling up

I have some English lavender in a large pot which bloomed just over a week ago. However, today I noticed the flowers had completely shriveled up almost overnight. It's been in full hot sun the past few weeks. I have watered it around twice a week since the soil was so dry and it's been so hot. I'm not sure if I'm watering it too much. Does this look salvageable? 

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 861
    What are the leaves looking like? They would probably also show signs of dryness, if the plant is water stressed, I would have thought. Though I never water my lavenders and they’re usually fine.
    If it’s in a pot, it’s always worth checking for vine weevil.
  • @dappledshade Thanks! The leaves look ok, a bit dry and colourless in some areas of the base. I gave it a good drink yesterday and moved it to a shadier spot and some of the flowers have opened back up again so I think it may have been the very intense direct sun.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,473
    I have to water my lavender, which are in two large troughs, every other day or the flowers start to droop. The lavender in the ground at the back garden never needs watering. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,060
    In pots they need watered. Totally different from a plant in the ground, as @Bijdezee says.
    Twice a week in dry, hot weather isn't enough for potted plants of any kind, even those which like sun. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @Bijdezee @Fairygirl Thanks, that makes sense! 
  • JamesSBJamesSB Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 531
    I’m watering mine (in hanging baskets) every day at the moment and they’re very happy. Put something in a pot and you’re gonna be watering a lot in this weather.