Forum home Problem solving

What is this growing between my paving slabs

2»

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,160
    I absolutely LOVE your patio micearguers
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,831
    I quite like the intermingling of patio with plants and have given over one row of slabs to plant life. Below Erigeron, Aceana, Salvia, Campanula, Verbena and Oenothera grow in the small space between the slabs. In the next row it is mainly Sagina subulata. It is a fairly neglected look :)
    I've gone some something of the same and have let most things self seed there - marjoram, ox eye daisies, valerian off., even some salvia. The ox eyes and valerian I will hoik out after flowering. I am wishing the erigeron would self seed, but it doesn't seem to want to.

• micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 574
    @Ladybird4 thank you! It's good to hear as the incomprehending looks so far seem to have a slight upper hand over the kindred souls. @Fire I've been admiring your community planting thread with the floriferous pavements and front gardens - think I've spotted erigeron there as well. In my garden it seems to preferentially self-seed into cracks. Perhaps just a matter of time?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,831
    @micearguers Yes, I have put a lot everywhere as it's such a useful plant on many scores. I had in my front garden for years and it never self seeded - I think it's probably not limey enough. I would love it in paving. On the big pavement plot it was good to see honey bees enjoying it. I have never seen / notice them feed on it in my own garden. Perhaps it was the only thing to hand and my own garden offered better choices...