Forum home Tools and techniques

David Pearson

Dear All,
We live in a lovely French village with lovely neighbors-except one pathetic specimen who hates the English. His latest ‘game’ is to sneak into our front garden while we’re out and empty our water butt. Is there any way I can lock the tap? Ok, we can use tap water but why should we?
He only does it to annoy, but he’s succeeding!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,680
    What a total a***hole @davidlpearson. I'd like to say get a camera and then report him if you capture him on film, but these things can often escalate and make your life even more miserable. I just don't understand the behaviour of some people.
    Can you surround the butt in some way with a simple screen which could then have a gate which could be padlocked? It's a nuisance, and you shouldn't have to do it, but I don't think there's any way of locking a tap. 
    Alternatively, can you relocate the butt?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,755
    Cattle electric fence
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,778
    Put something sticky and unpleasant on the tap? If he does it in the dark he will get a nasty surprise? 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,919
    But will he put his wet nose on it Nanny Beach?
    neighbours, PITA. 😱
    you can get lockable water butt taps, no good for me to give you English links but you could look at French sites. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,346
    Poor you.  How are your neighbours accessing your property?  Is it possible to lock your gate?  Nasty people.  Sounds like something from Jean de Florette!!  Where are you?
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,680
    I wasn't sure you could lock a tap @Lyn, but that could be the easiest solution for David.

Only problem is -  the intruder [which is what he is] may move on to something else to disrupt David's life.
    One of the water scarecrows could be a good idea if you know where he's coming in and when  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,677
    Oh yes!
     A water scarecrow would be a brilliant idea .., to deal with those marauding ‘foxes’. 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ElferElfer Posts: 329
    Why not hide and embarrass him after he empties the water butt.

Get a guard dog.

Get dummy cameras (or real ones) and motion activated lights.

Motion activated alarm.

I would just get him on camera, make a print and then post it to him along with a friendly note asking him to stop the childish behaviour. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,146
    Put in a second water butt?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,919
    I would go with Elfers ideas but definitely not the dog. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.